....atlantic bow...

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

corvette1271

....atlantic bow...

Post by corvette1271 »

could anyone explain the atlantic bow and its design characteristics and advantages?
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

Hello, Corvette.

Although I'm anything but an expert, the Atlantic bow contributes to better seakeeping. If you'd like to trace the development of this, the Scharnhorst-class provides an excellent background. These ships had severe problems with seakeeping after their commisioning due to the straight stem, low bow freeboard and insufficient sheer line. I'll make an attempt to explain this...

Think of the clipper bow as a sharp V that gradually slope back in the U of the midship-sections. When the ship climb the waves, the Atlantic bow is designed to increase the lift-ability of the bow. This is done by increasing the sheer line. In order to achieve that, the bow is extended both vertical and horizontal. The forecastle climb from the deck level, which is done to gain more bow freeboard and therefore also more sheer. Further, the length of the forecastle extend beyond the forward perpendicular, (bow waterline point) which increase the sheer even more. When you look upon the V, imagine the water climbing the sides. To prevent the rising water from reaching the deck, you must direct it away from the V. That's the purpose of the sheer, (<-V->) and this is done by curving the top sides of the V further out from the centre. I hope this will bring you the answer to your question.

Best regards
RF

Post by RF »

The Atlantic bow was also specifically intended to reduce the volume of sea-water taken on board, which in rough seas easily flooded Anton turret.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

RF,

Off topic, but just FYI US submarines almost always only use only one single ping, generally to fine tune the firing solution right before firing a weapon, and it would be necessary to order more than one, not the other way around. Since it reveals your position, you don't want to do it unless you are going to do something very noisy anyway. Torpedoes are very noisy. :)