HMS Hood sinking painting

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
marcelo_malara

HMS Hood sinking painting

Post by marcelo_malara »

Hi guys, I am curious about this painting of the Hood sinking, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Hood# ... S_Hood.jpg, whose anniversary happens to be today. Did anyone actually see Hood in such a high angle?

Regards
OpanaPointer

Re: HMS Hood sinking painting

Post by OpanaPointer »

Most of her hull would be out of the water in that painting, I think.
Alberto Virtuani

Post by Alberto Virtuani »

Hi OpanaPointer,
I'm not skeptical about the angle (several witnesses saw Hood bows almost vertical) but by the length of her hull out of the water that looks a bit exaggerated: the stern was already gone and all the large internal spaces (engine rooms) flooded, thus not enough buoyancy to have the bridges and the funnels raising out of the water, possibly only the forecastle with the fore turrets.

Bye, Alberto
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

"There's always a danger running in the enemy at close range" (Adm.W.F.Wake-Walker)
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Alberto Virtuani wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:51 pm Hi OpanaPointer,
I'm not skeptical about the angle (several witnesses saw Hood bows almost vertical) but by the length of her hull out of the water that looks a bit exaggerated: the stern was already gone and all the large internal spaces (engine rooms) flooded, thus not enough buoyancy to have the bridges and the funnels raising out of the water, possibly only the forecastle with the fore turrets.

Bye, Alberto
Exactly what I was thinking. How many people actually saw it?

Regards
Alberto Virtuani

Post by Alberto Virtuani »

Hi Marcelo,
if you mean the portion of the ship out of the water, I think nobody stated that they could see up to the second funnel...

IMO the painter just wanted to show the "Hood" with her profile clearly recognizable, not the exact length of the ship outside the sea.

This is Tedd Briggs in his book (http://www.hmshood.com/crew/remember/te ... p.htm#Ch20) : "I turned and fifty yards away I could see the bows of the Hood vertical in the sea."

Schmalenbach (http://www.kbismarck.com/archives/pg-ktb.zip, pag.45) however depicted the scene exactly as in the paint...

Bye, Alberto
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

"There's always a danger running in the enemy at close range" (Adm.W.F.Wake-Walker)
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Thanks Alberto. The document mentions 40°, less than the painting I think.