Battle of Kursk?

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
Kev D

Battle of Kursk?

Post by Kev D »

Realise this is basically a naval forum but was wondering if anyone here could recommend a 'good' readable book on the Battle of Kursk (1943)?

There seems to be a plethoria of them published, but how to sort the wheat from the chaff?
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant. HMS Repulse. Dec. 8 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
Kev D

Re: Battle of Kursk?

Post by Kev D »

For those also interested in subjects other than naval - in reply to my previous question - I was recommended the book 'Battle of the Tanks by Lloyd Clark', and now having half finished it in two sittings I can highly recommend it myself. The first to chapters on the rise of Hitler and Stalin (respectively) alone are worth the 'price of entry' (although not if you had to pay anywhere near the whopping 89GBP!!! as seen advertised on Amz UK.) And while the sub-heading states 'Kursk 1943' the scope is actually much wider than that. A thoroughly enjoyable read!
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant. HMS Repulse. Dec. 8 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

Thanks for the review! Unfortunately if I couldn't find it for a lot less I'm afraid it's out of my price range.
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

Steve Crandell wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:16 pm Thanks for the review! Unfortunately if I couldn't find it for a lot less I'm afraid it's out of my price range.
Steve, I see there is a bunch via 'Bookfinder and / or ABEBooks'' for less than 20. (I didnt look closer to see if they were new or 2nd hand though. IIRC mine was 2nd hand but in 'as new' condition for only 3 quid plus postage.)
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

Kev D wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:41 am
Steve Crandell wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:16 pm Thanks for the review! Unfortunately if I couldn't find it for a lot less I'm afraid it's out of my price range.
Steve, I see there is a bunch via 'Bookfinder and / or ABEBooks'' for less than 20. (I didnt look closer to see if they were new or 2nd hand though. IIRC mine was 2nd hand but in 'as new' condition for only 3 quid plus postage.)
Thank you :D
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

Hope you manage to get a copy Steve, as it is an excellent book, but the further I have gotten into the book - and the more detailed and place specific the fighting gets - I find it has six star text with two star maps. So make sure you have either 1) a magnifying glass or 2) an atlas / Google Earth at hand (but don't let that detract from buying the book).
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

Let me add that the further into the book one gets - especially once the fighting really starts south and south east of Kursk - the more the need for more detailed maps (but as I said above don't let that put you off as the descriptions / text is excellent, so I have simply been using Google Earth on my tablet as a companion piece, but.......)

I have the following book of maps on order, as am on a bit of an Easter Front binge at moment, but alas it has not arrived in time for when I could have really used it. :(
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eastern-Front- ... 366&sr=8-1