Kaiser Wilhelm photo

From the birth of the Dreadnought to the period immediately after the end of World War I.
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Re: Kaiser Wilhelm photo

Post by Terje Langoy »

mike1880 wrote: Sarmiento may have been present at Spithead in 1902 but the Kaiser most certainly wasn't. Nor do I think that's von Bulow; von Bulow wasn't a soldier.
...and so it couldn't be the 1902 Naval review :wink:

However, I'm surprised to find that Kaizer Wilhelm II would not participate in the coronation of his own uncle. Btw, Bülow may not be a soldier at this time (1900-1910) but he had, as I mentioned above, served in the Franco-Prussian wars and was from 1900 a German Chancellor and allegedly Wilhelm's own Bismarck. I suppose a Chancellor could wear military uniform.
“Gneisenau has given way, and we are to march at once to your chief.”
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

marcelo_malara wrote:Hi all:

Herr Nilsson:

The phoho was taken in Kiel according to some sources, the article doesn´t say that the Kaiser came on board, but may be that is an omission.
Siguieron rumbo a Europa arribando al puerto de kiel (Alemania) coincidiendo con la semana naval. El 24 de junio el emperador alemán, Guillermo II visita la fragata.
Source:
Susana M. C. Pierri Winkler: "La Fragata Sarmiento", page 31
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Well, so that´s the answer, June 24th 1907 in Kiel. Does the book say who was the commander in that cruise? Are you Spanish speaker?

Thanks for your time.
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

Marcelo,

the one source says 25th the other 24th, but I think June 1907 during the "Kieler Woche" should be a reasonably reliable information. On the other hand I'm unable to conclude whether he visited "Presidente Sarmiento" a second time. I just can say, that I haven't found anything about that. Therefore I think it's unlikely, but unfortunately not impossible.

The commader of the 8th cruise was Jose Moneta. Second in command was Horacio Ballve.

No, I don't speak Spanish, but I learned Latin for seven years during my time at school and had a short Spanish-course during my studies (a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. LOL). This helps a little bit, although I always run the risk to misinterpret what is written.
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
RF

Post by RF »

As a digression somewhat I presume that Presidiente Sarmiento was a significant person in Argetine history, to have a major ship named after him?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Yes Robert, he was a supporter of the Navy and bought the first iron ships during his presidency.

Nilsson, thanks again for the data. I wish I knew German, that would add several books to my wishlist!!