Leyte gulf

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Re: Leyte gulf

Post by Dave Saxton »

Steve Crandell wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:47 pm The USN was much better at night fighting than they were earlier in the war. How could they not be? I know there was at least one case where USN DDs ambushed some IJN DDs with torpedoes at night, using radar as their primary sensor.
I agree that USN was much better at night fighting as the war progressed. Both in terms of know how and also radar technology.

These ambushes that occurred during 1943 caused the IJN to redouble their efforts to win back the night. They still were far behind in radar technology. For example, the firecontrol version of their 10 cm radar never did become operational. The resolution of Type 22 was actually worse than MK3, despite its 10 cm wave length. Nonetheless, just having the radar meant they were unlikely to be ambushed as they were in the 1943 night battles.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
Steve Crandell

Re: Leyte gulf

Post by Steve Crandell »

I completely agree that Lee would not want to fight at night. He was aboard Washington at Guadalcanal, and I'm sure he realized how dangerous that situation was, especially with respect to Japanese torpedoes.