please help trying to out details

Anything else you want to talk about.
mervc

please help trying to out details

Post by mervc »

Hi guys i asking for some help if possible, i bought what i was told is an old navy boat that i want to restore, but they couldn't tell me anything except that it is 18.5ft long and that it is a de havelland. it is aluminium, It has full checker plate welded floor, it has welded checker plate all the way round the top it is centre console, it has a square bar that runs along both sides at the top and is welded and rivited to the body, it has a round bar that goes from one side up over the console and down to the other side and is welded to the centre console. i tried to upload a photo but it wouldn't let me. i hope you guys may have an idea of what i have. thank-you
Byron Angel

Re: please help trying to out details

Post by Byron Angel »

mervc wrote:Hi guys i asking for some help if possible, i bought what i was told is an old navy boat that i want to restore, but they couldn't tell me anything except that it is 18.5ft long and that it is a de havelland. it is aluminium, It has full checker plate welded floor, it has welded checker plate all the way round the top it is centre console, it has a square bar that runs along both sides at the top and is welded and rivited to the body, it has a round bar that goes from one side up over the console and down to the other side and is welded to the centre console. i tried to upload a photo but it wouldn't let me. i hope you guys may have an idea of what i have. thank-you

..... Do a web search under "De Havilland Marine" (note the "I" instead of "e"). I do not know the exact nature of your craft, but DH was a major producer of all-aluminum small craft after WW2. Mention is made of widespread use by various "government departments".

Whatever it is, it sounds like you've got a good no nonsense working boat.

B
mervc

Post by mervc »

hi thanks for the reply. i've done a fair bit of research on it and i can't find much about this boat from what i can work out it is possibly a PT boat it has the big v at the front with extra large spray fins of the side and a flat bottom all the way through after the v comes under the boat. from what i have read PT boat have a big v with extra large spray fins and a flat bottom for going across the top of the water instead of going through the water. i may be wrong in my thoughts but it would be good to find out what it would have actually would have been used for.if i can figure out how to upload a photo i will makes it easier if theres a pic, it keeps telling me the files to big
mervc

Post by mervc »

hi i just found it, its a de havilland 1963 hercules aluminium boat. can any one tell me if these were used by the navy and if so what were they used for. i am trying to rebuild it back to new condition so if any would have have photo of this model when they were new could you please send it to me so i have it to go off.
i dont know if i'm allowed to do this so admin please let me know if i can, but this is my email address merv_cowan@live.com.au if anyone should happen to have any pics. thanks for your help