Radar Development

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

kodexof731

Radar Development

Post by kodexof731 »

I finally got a copy of this.

GEMA: birthplace of German radar and sonar
Creator: Kroge, Harry von.
This book tells the fascinating story of how German radar and sonar was developed in the years leading up to and through World War II. Harry von Kroge has devoted decades to collecting a mass of statements and widely scattered documentary material about the evolution of GEMA's sonar and radar. The book provides much previosly unavailable material and insights into the difficulties encountered on the way to the first promising results in target detection and ranging without optical visibility. The reader will find rare technical descriptions as well as information about industrial and scientific cooperation involving secret equipment in Germany before 1945.

And it states the following about the TS1 triode”
“There were problems with the TS1 triodes, which were not reliable in long continuous operation, and to change them required
An NVA or GEMA technician”, which I take to mean no repairs at sea, only in the yard.
hans zurbriggen

Re: Radar Development

Post by hans zurbriggen »

Hello Mr. kodexof731,
AFAIK Admiral Scheer had her radar fixed at sea by crew members during her spectacular two oceans cruise in 1940-1941, when U-124 delivered spare triode to replace defective one, before her return to Germany.
Replacement at sea is not described as "exceptional" by Admiral Scheer's captain, Theodor Krancke, in his book "Schwerer Kreuzer Admiral Scheer 1940/1941". Possibly Gema or NVA technicians were on board during missions, but I have no supporting evidence.

hans
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

kodexof731 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:37 am I finally got a copy of this.

GEMA: birthplace of German radar and sonar
Creator: Kroge, Harry von.
This book tells the fascinating story of how German radar and sonar was developed in the years leading up to and through World War II. Harry von Kroge has devoted decades to collecting a mass of statements and widely scattered documentary material about the evolution of GEMA's sonar and radar. The book provides much previosly unavailable material and insights into the difficulties encountered on the way to the first promising results in target detection and ranging without optical visibility. The reader will find rare technical descriptions as well as information about industrial and scientific cooperation involving secret equipment in Germany before 1945.

And it states the following about the TS1 triode”
“There were problems with the TS1 triodes, which were not reliable in long continuous operation, and to change them required
An NVA or GEMA technician”, which I take to mean no repairs at sea, only in the yard.
Thanks for the book data, did not know about it.
kodexof731

Post by kodexof731 »

Welcome, glad it helped : )