Crew indulgences near the end

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

beltsman

Crew indulgences near the end

Post by beltsman »

I heard/read that the crew were allowed to help themselves to food and drink after their situation became hopeless. Is this true? It was also said that some of the crew were intoxicated off the ship's alcohol stores. Is this true? I mean no disrespect by asking - I saw someone say it and wondered if there was any evidence of it.

Thank you,
paul.mercer

Re: Crew indulgences near the end

Post by paul.mercer »

I believe the crew were allowed to help themselves to food, cigarettes etc. but I would be very doubtful of any claims that some of them got drunk, if this was the case then discipline must have been very poor which I find difficult to believe on a ship like Bismarck. No doubt if the crew was told that ships stores were open for anyone to take what they wanted then it could not not have done much for their moral.
beltsman

Post by beltsman »

paul.mercer wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:10 am I believe the crew were allowed to help themselves to food, cigarettes etc. but I would be very doubtful of any claims that some of them got drunk, if this was the case then discipline must have been very poor which I find difficult to believe on a ship like Bismarck. No doubt if the crew was told that ships stores were open for anyone to take what they wanted then it could not not have done much for their moral.
To me, it seems like a very poor command decision. While it may seem a nice gesture for the men, the effect on morale would be devastating - essentially giving them their "last meal."
Thorsten Wahl

Post by Thorsten Wahl »

I suspect the crew men received Pervitin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methamphetamine
Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

Thorsten Wahl wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:13 pm I suspect the crew men received Pervitin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methamphetamine
Yes, most likely.
Radio operators aboard Prinz Eugen were administered Pervitin during Rheinübung, and considering the position Bismarck was I suspect it would be the same. Schokakola with its high caffeine content was also used to stay awake.