Bows

Armed conflicts in the history of humanity from the ancient times to the 20th Century.
paul.mercer

Bows

Post by paul.mercer » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:02 am

Gentlemen,
here is a question far removed from naval affairs, guns etc.
Over the centuries there has been many types of Bow used in battle, probably the English Longbow being the most famous, but there were several nations around the world that used bows of a different construction, mainly with what i believe is called a re-curve, has there ever been any comparisons made with replica bows as to which one was the mst powerful and efficient?

marcelo_malara

Re: Bows

Post by marcelo_malara » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:24 pm

I remember seeing a reconstruction in Discovery many years ago. I think the re curved was described as the best one, with an iron pointed arrow it pierced a reconstructed chest armor of the era at close distance. In the same series, a trebuchet was reconstructed and tested. I was astonished by the precision of this weapon, modifying the position of a bolt with holds one of the extremes of the sling they pointed the weapon, once found the point they stroke once and again a small castle made of bricks.

paul.mercer

Re: Bows

Post by paul.mercer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:35 am

Thanks for that,
I visited a medieval type show a few years ago where they were demonstrating jousting and longbows, one chat showed me his bow which was about 6 feet in length and had a 100 pound pull - I could only move it string a few inches, yet I believe that some of the old archers could pull up to about 180 pounds on a war bow such as used at Agincourt, I realise that this fellows grew up with these weapons and gradually built up to the full strength ones. but even so they must have been mighty strong men in those days. Imagine, 5000 men firing perhaps 10 arrows a minute at you - it must have felt like hail!
All the best, keep clear of this dammed virus,
Paul