WW1 battleships

From the birth of the Dreadnought to the period immediately after the end of World War I.
paul.mercer

WW1 battleships

Post by paul.mercer » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:19 pm

Gentlemen,
looking at old films of WWI RN battleships they all seem to have diagonal 'strakes' down each side, what were these for?

Byron Angel

Re: WW1 battleships

Post by Byron Angel » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:06 am

paul.mercer wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:19 pm
Gentlemen,
looking at old films of WWI RN battleships they all seem to have diagonal 'strakes' down each side, what were these for?

Hi Paul,
Re those "diagonal strakes", my guess is that you are referring to the numerous anti-torpedo net booms in their stowed positions along the sides of the ship. These nets were featured in both the British and German navies of the era. IIRC, the RN dispensed with them, but the IGN retained them at least through Jutland.

B

Alberto Virtuani

Post by Alberto Virtuani » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:58 pm

...and the anti-torpedo booms were present also in all other Navies of the late XIX century ships and in the ones that fought at Tsushima in 1905:
this is Imperator Nikolai I, built in 1889 and captured by Japanese, showing the booms at her side some time before the Japanese-Russian war (colors are from before the battle, when the Russian battleships were painted black).

RUS_Imperor_Nikolai_I.jpg
RUS_Imperor_Nikolai_I.jpg (24.54 KiB) Viewed 2077 times

Bye, Alberto
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

"There's always a danger running in the enemy at close range" (Adm.W.F.Wake-Walker)

Alberto Virtuani

Post by Alberto Virtuani » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:19 pm

Hello everybody,
I must amend my previous post, the ships of the Third Pacific Squadron (Nikolai I was the flagship) were apparently not all painted black at Tsushima (First and Second Squadron were), therefore the image posted above can have been taken just before her last "mission".

Here the evidence with a photo taken just after the ship surrender at Tsushima:

ImperatorNikolaiI1905.jpg
ImperatorNikolaiI1905.jpg (16.32 KiB) Viewed 2029 times

Bye, Alberto
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

"There's always a danger running in the enemy at close range" (Adm.W.F.Wake-Walker)