British and French naval fleet numbers in the 19th century

General naval discussions that don't fit within any specific time period or cover several issues.
PetterJhon

British and French naval fleet numbers in the 19th century

Post by PetterJhon » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:39 am

Hello everyone,,
I'm looking for some numbers of the naval fleets and their compositions of the British and French navies in the 19th century, particularly from 1850 onwards. I'm trying to see if there's any way in an alternate timeline that the French Empire could become the equal of the British Empire on the high seas during that time.

If anybody could point me at this information, that would be greatly appreciated.

Byron Angel

Re: British and French naval fleet numbers in the 19th century

Post by Byron Angel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:04 am

Hi PetterJhon,

Short answer is pretty much - no. in the nineteenth century, Great Britain was VERY serious about maintaining a naval "two power standard", i.e., that the size of the RN should be no less than the sum of the next two largest foreign fleets.

A decent starting point for investigation of the naval situation during your period of interest might be "The Navies of the World - Their Present State and Future Capabilities", by Hans Busk (first printing 1859). This was re-printed by the US Naval Institute, but a bit of energetic interwebnet searching may very well turn this book up for free via archive.org or some similar web source.

Welcome aboard.

B