I just completed a restoration of a very old model that was gathering dust in my basement for thirty years. I have been intrigued with trying to make the old model look like the line drawings (from this site) of 24 May 1941 for a while, but never could find the time. The new Testor "ACRYL" paints were a huge help, and went on very smoothly with good cover with one coat.
I only made a few piece modifications from the original kit, adding a little to the bow, to make the stem a bit more pointed. The rest of the changes from the original kit were were done with a paint brush. Windows for the admiral's bridge were painted on prior to assembly of the part. I used a water based paint, putting on a stripe of very dark gray, then very light gray below it for depth. After the paint was almost but not quite dry, I carefully scraped with a sharpened toothpick the edges of the windows. You need a small brush, good eyesite, and a steady hand.
I'm pleased with how it turned out, especially with what the "before" looked like.
Next project - the Dragon premium edition with etched metal parts.
I attach pictures of this rarer old model:
The base is an old piece of an electric lamp that my wife wanted to throw out. It is marble.
The false bow wave was different than this on the port side, but when I did it way back then, I knew no better.
The edge of the piano key board lid serves as a waterline effect for the model.
Swordfish crews' view
Overhead bow-on view.
Please let me know what you think.