British in Afghanistan, 1800s.

Armed conflicts in the history of humanity from the ancient times to the 20th Century.
Byron Angel

Re: British in Afghanistan, 1800s.

Post by Byron Angel »

Kev D wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:04 pm Thanks Byron. I'll look into that book. Last one on VN I finished was a couple of months ago called "19 Minutes To Live" by Lew Jennings, a Little Bird (or Loach as I think they called em back then) and then Cobra pilot. Or was it they other way around. A VERY good in your face book. Another 4.5 star from 1000 plus reviewers.

And I of course should have added in my above "[.......... and expat Hmongs living in the Vietnam highlands, and the local 'Yards, making up the bulk of the teams."

From what I have read, VN Loach pilots were CRAZY.

B
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

You make it sound like that was a bad thing. :?
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

Excuse me, but what does all this have to do with the British in Afghanistan?
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

Next to nothing. :shock: But you answered / commented on Bryon's post prior to asking the above, sooooo............And I for one cerainly did not take his statement to mean they were 'bad' crazy crazy, but seeing as the bulk of them openly admit to doing really crazy things, I find the term as used in the above circumstances endearing, not offensive. Each to their own though.

So OP, should you feel these posts inapropriate / too intrusive and leading folks astray, we can cease and desist and start another thread re that other "dying place" of course.

PS. As long as the posts here are about Afghanistan and the wars therein then, is that OK , or must this thread remain in the Afg of the 1800's? Serious question please, not just a throw away as it were.
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant. HMS Repulse. Dec. 8 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

If it would be possible to move it somewhere else, that would be great! I actually go to a topic based on whether I think it's interesting. Finding that it isn't about the topic at all is kind of irritating, even if the "new" topic is interesting.
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

Understood Steve. So I am all for moving those posts then if a mod or someone can do it, or should I start the new thread first so they have somewhere for them to be moved to? Yes, I think I'll start one then. :D

Which I have now started here. :ok: Hopefully a mod will move the intruders in this thread across. :clap:
http://www.kbismarck.org/forum/viewtopi ... 825#p87825
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant. HMS Repulse. Dec. 8 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

NO need to move over (to the new thread in 'Books Section') any posts not relating to Afghanistan from this thread, as we have copy and pasted the intruders over ourselves. But as we cannot remove completely our post here, could somone in that position just delete them completely from this thread please.

Thakyou in advance! :ok:
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

So to keep the thread going, I assume it is OK to mention / recommend books on Afghanistan from latter war/s? I have a list as long(er) than my arm, but just a few standouts listed in no particular order of preference (all American centric here, but I can list as many Brit ones also).

Dagger 22 (both books by Michael Golembesky)
War (Sebastion Junger)

Rest you'll have to look up authors.
Alone At Dawn
Roberts Ridge
Not a Good Day To Die
The Chosen Few
Red Platoon
Lone Survivor
Victory Point: Operations Red Wings and Whalers
The Only Thing Worth Dying For
Into The Fire
Outlaw Platoon
The Outpost
No Way Out
Extortion 17
No Easy Day
The Operator: The Seal Team Operative And The Mission That Changed The World (EDIT - well no it didnt 'change the world', but...............the mission was almost flawless, save for the loss of a chopper, but that did not impede the mission one bit.)

Anyway thats a start off the top of my head, and have read them all so the above comes first hand. And below a patch that says it all in honour of Lt Michael Murphy, posthumous MOH winner from the 'Lone Survivor' mission. :clap:
Attachments
Murph.JPG
Murph.JPG (107.44 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

And how could I have forgotten;
One Tribe At A Time (The Paper That Changed The War in Aghanistan) by Major Jim Gant (UBL put a price on his head and ordered him to be - how did they say it in the movie Apocalypse Now - "Terminated with extreme predjudice" after having the paper read to him and realising how dangerous the ideas but forth in it were to his / the T'bans agenda.

American Spartan. The Promise, The Mission, and The Betrayal of Special Forces Major Jim Gant by Ann Scott Tyson, of which the name says it all.

And last - for now - but far from least;
The Dust Of Uruzgan by Fred Smith (published 2016), an Ozzie "Civil Servant" and muso who did several stints in Afg for the Oz goverment and who has a CD by the same name that has to rank as one of the top, although underlyingly disturbing, collection of 'war songs' ever written. Both book and CD highly recommended.
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

Another recently (2021) released very good one. Recommended!

First Casualty by Toby Harden

Oh, and in the spirit of the thread heading, although its not the 1800's, the 'final' showdown even has some British participation. :wink: