Main armament hoists

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

marcelo_malara

Main armament hoists

Post by marcelo_malara »

Hi guys. I want to clarify this. How many hoist there were in each turret? What was the motive power of each? And which its function?

REgards
Herr Nilsson

Re: Main armament hoists

Post by Herr Nilsson »

One main and one auxiliary hoist per barrel. Main: (electro)hydraulic, auxiliary: electric. Auxiliary was backup of main. Main: just one cycle (projectile and propellant at once), auxiliary: two cycles (one after the other).
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Admirable synthesis! Thanks! Was there any manual backup for either (I must admit that there would be difficult lifting about a ton 15 m by hand).

Regards
paul.mercer

Post by paul.mercer »

marcelo_malara wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:50 pm Admirable synthesis! Thanks! Was there any manual backup for either (I must admit that there would be difficult lifting about a ton 15 m by hand).

Regards
Hi Marcelo, It would indeed be a job to raise a 16" shell by hand, made even more improbable un the film 'Battleship' where 4 or 5 carried a shell in Missouri the whole length of the ship!
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

marcelo_malara wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:50 pm Was there any manual backup for either
No. There was a lot of manual backup for automation, but not for power.
Regards

Marc

marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Thanks!
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

Herr Nilsson wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:19 am ....but not for power.
I‘m not happy with my sentence. Of course there are a lot of electricity backups. I meant to say once all hoists are out of order for whatever reasons, there was no manual transport planed up to the guns. The 20.3 cm turrets of Prinz Eugen still had a so called „Hilfsheißvorrichtung“ additionally.
Regards

Marc

wadinga

Post by wadinga »

Hi Paul,
It would indeed be a job to raise a 16" shell by hand, made even more improbable un the film 'Battleship' where 4 or 5 carried a shell in Missouri the whole length of the ship!
Absolutely everything in the splendid and enjoyable hokum which is "Battleship" is improbable or downright impossible. The best part of the scene where the struggling heroes are carrying a projectile all that way is that right above their heads is the I Beam monorail specifically installed to move heavy loads along "Broadway". The sections where the watertight doors are, would be removed when buttoned up for action. However any movie with a real battleship is OK in my book.

A 20.3cm unexploded round which entered PoW's 5.25" handling room was picked up and manhandled to the side and thrown overboard at Denmark Straits.

All the best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"