Time and distance questions for early 19th century travel

Anything else you want to talk about.
shanlav

Time and distance questions for early 19th century travel

Post by shanlav »

I know this forum is more about navies, but I have a couple of questions about sailing times in years 1790-1815. My ship is a brig, similar to the US Niagra. How long would this ship take to get from Shanghai to Britain? Any idea about what the typical ports of call would be on this route?

If my ship were a different type -- something more similar to the 17th century Batavia -- how long would that same trip take? Were ships like the Batavia still used by the 1800s? Specifically, would they have been used in the Mediterranean?

I appreciate any information people can offer.
aurora

Re: Time and distance questions for early 19th century trave

Post by aurora »

Dependant on winds and sea conditions-I think a c.1800 brig would take between 6 to 9 months to complete the trip from Shanghai to London
Quo Fata Vocant-Whither the Fates call

Jim
shanlav

Post by shanlav »

Thank you for your help. I'm very glad I asked, I had underestimated by a lot. Were there any types of ship around that time that would have been faster but still be large enough to have a crew of around 30?
shanlav

Post by shanlav »

Oops! I think I may have posted my follow-up question someplace else. I wanted to thank you for your information and ask if you could recommend a type of ship that might have been faster, but could still accommodate some canon and a largish crew?

Greetings, by the way, from 8,000 ft in rural New Mexico -- where ships of any kind are as rare as hen's teeth.
lynn1212

Post by lynn1212 »

a few years later clipper ships were trimming run times by a fair percentage but they were still several months long
aurora

Post by aurora »

Yes-I saw the times for the tea clippers but as the ship in question was a brigantine I had add on time for it's likely speed for the vagueries of wind and sea state.
Quo Fata Vocant-Whither the Fates call

Jim