Your favourite Battleship

General naval discussions that don't fit within any specific time period or cover several issues.
northcape

Your favourite Battleship

Post by northcape »

Do you have a personal favourite, and if yes, why? I'm not talking about the "best" or "strongest" BS, just which one do you feel most affected to ?

For me, it are the KGV's. I know they were probably the weakest of all new (1930ies+) designs, and that they had many shortcomings. However, I think I like their history a lot and also that awkward quadruple-double gun turret combination. For the same reason of asymmetry and awkwardness, I was always fascinated by Rodney and Nelson. On the axes side, I have a hard time deciding between Tirpitz and Scharnhorst. I never could relate to the US battleships, no matter how great designs the Iowas were. Maybe they are just to perfect for me. Yamato and Musashi - very impressive, but again I never really fancied them.
alecsandros

Re: Your favourite BS

Post by alecsandros »

Hi northcape,

I have a thing for Tirpitz and South Dakota. But Littorio and KGV are also very interesting to me. Yamato and Musashi - gigantic and phenomenal. To bad they couldn't see the action they were designed to...
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

The Iowa's for me. My dad served on USS Missouri from 1944-46 in Fire Control Main.

German favorites are Bismarck & Scharnhorst class.

Japanese would have to be Yamato class only for their size.

I'm the opposite of northcape as British battleships hold no allure for me
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
paul.mercer

Post by paul.mercer »

Gentlemen,
Its Warspite for me, I know she was old and did'nt compare with the newer WW2 ships, but what a battle history - in both World Wars!
BobDonnald

Re: Your favourite Battleship

Post by BobDonnald »

USS North Carolina BB-55 (the Showboat)

I have visited her several times over the last 20 years. It is only a 6 hour drive to Wilmington, NC from my home. The first time I toured her, I was 16 years old and found myself imagining myself on the conn of the Washington off of Savo. LOL.. It would not have hurt my feelings if all the South Dakota class has been like her. Much better lines than the following class. As WW2 historically went, the NC's armor setup really didn't figure into any battles.

Bob
MikeBrough

Post by MikeBrough »

paul.mercer wrote:Gentlemen,
Its Warspite for me, I know she was old and did'nt compare with the newer WW2 ships, but what a battle history - in both World Wars!
Same for me and for the same reasons.
RNfanDan
Supporter

Post by RNfanDan »

If battleCRUISERS are eligible here, I am compelled to vote for HMS Repulse. A beautiful ship, not the strongest fighter but sleek, speedy and very pleasing to the eye.

If battlecruisers are "out", then I probably lean toward HMS Valiant.
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

I'm in a similar "boat" to Dan... Hood has been my lifelong fascination. Bismarck was the first warship I learned about as a child and is responsible for everything that came after (so always occupies a very special place for me), but she was quickly superseded by her victim ....for sheer beauty, power and vulnerability. Reading Ernle Bradford's "The Mighty Hood" as a boy was the clincher..

British BB'? Warspite is it.....I'm ashamed to admit that when I built the Airfix kit of her as a boy, I thought she was hideously ugly...with Hood as my gold standard...but later learned to appreciate all her bulges and bulky WW2 superstructure....what a battleship!!

USA....USS New Jersey...having been aboard her a few years ago.On the Japanese side, Nagato takes top spot.
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

my favourite ship is easy to realize, ... it is my avatar too ... it is the : TIRPITZ !

But I like many other warships, ... Hood, Scharnhorst, Roma, Missouri, Yamato, Warspite, ....

... the HMS Victory ... and la Galeazza Veneziana : Duri i Banchi ! Sempre Duri !

Bye Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
pdunderhill

Post by pdunderhill »

Hello good people,
first post on this forum so please be patient!

Like the OP I've always had a love of the comparatively few post WW2 British Battleships especially HMS Vanguard.
A ship that almost seems to have disappeared from the public memory now, beautiful proportions, well built, armed and engineered. Never fired a shot in anger and if the Thames were wider should have replaced HMS Belfast in London.
Hey ho such are the vagaries of life.

Anyway this is an excellent, polite and very well informed forum, I hope I can contribute the little I know to you all.

Peter Underhill
Anachronus

Post by Anachronus »

RNfanDan wrote:If battleCRUISERS are eligible here, I am compelled to vote for HMS Repulse. A beautiful ship, not the strongest fighter but sleek, speedy and very pleasing to the eye.[/i].
I wholeheartedly agree. Beautiful ship.

I have always had a fondness for the "R"'s in their World War One versions.
RF

Post by RF »

Nobody has mentioned it yet, but for British battleships I would go for HMS Vanguard and as I am British it would have to be my favourite.

As for other navies.... well I think Bismarck has to be the one.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Nellie

Post by Nellie »

This is a tough one to answer, there are both design issues and history wich have an influence here.
I have always liked the Nelson class with their special designs, the Renown class battlecruisers with their history back in WW1 make them legendary and brings many questions around.
I have a hard time to choose wich one of them wich interests me most.

I like history and history make me some kind of emotional, like an old ship just before scrapping, worn by the time and other forces and you can almost feel the activity wich has been there on the deck despite the total silence.

A picture who had it is this one, that starboardside tells it all..

tameraire01

Post by tameraire01 »

For me my favourite BB would be Vanguard , she was fast well armed and a monster compared to the older RN Battleships. They could have upgraded her as she aged like the iowas but what can you do.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas. Joseph Stalin
RF

Post by RF »

tameraire01 wrote:For me my favourite BB would be Vanguard , she was fast well armed and a monster compared to the older RN Battleships.
Almost like a British version of Bismarck!
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.