Comments on Neville Chamberlain made by Republican Senator

Anything else you want to talk about.
RF

Comments on Neville Chamberlain made by Republican Senator

Post by RF »

It is reported on the BBC that Ted Cruz, a Republican Party senator for Texas has claimed that Nevile Chamberlain once told the British people to ''Accept the Nazis. Yes, they'll dominate the continent of Europe but thats not our problem.''

Can anybody on this forum please cite exactly when and where this alleged statement ''to the British people'' was made?

I have never previously heard of Chamberlain ever making such a statement in private let alone publicly. None of the very considerable writings on Chamberlain, not even from those vehemently opposed to the policy of appeasement, that I have seen have ever made this claim that Ted Cruz has uttered.

I find it difficult to believe that the statement was made, as it would have caused a furore if it had - it would have provoked reactions in the British trade union movement, the Labour Party and certainly from the likes of Winston Churchill in the Conservative Party. And the French Government would have made very strong diplomatic reaction if Chamberlain had said this alleged startement.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
tommy303

Re: Comments on Neville Chamberlain made by Republican Senat

Post by tommy303 »

Well, I wouldn't put too much faith in anything the honourable senator from Texas has to say.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder ... ler.-video

McCain apparently did not challenge the veracity of the quote, but Arron Goldstien does here:

http://spectator.org/blog/2013/09/25/ho ... but-then-l

The misquote sounds more like a quote of Ron Paul rather than Chamberlain.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
RF

Post by RF »

If Cruz wins the GOP nomination for 2016 - well you Americans will have to get used to four years of Obama's successor.

Unless of course there was an electable third party choice.
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

Sorry RF, you may not like Cruz or his tone but he speaks for many who want the republicans to grow a backbone. Rolling over and saying rub my tummy is not going to win elections. McCain and Romney were moderates and they both lost and I voted for both of them. Neither one of them was willing to play hardball with barry because they were trying to court moderates. We know how that worked.

The country needs bold differences not blurred lines. I am really tired of hearing the same song that the republicans will be out of power because of the shutdown, the Tea Party tactics, blah blah blah. So what! IIANM-Napoleon said not to interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake-what do they care? Certainly its not to be sporting! Better to stand for something then for nothing! I was a life long republican till this past November and I left the party. In reality it left me, but because of men like Cruz it may have a sliver of hope. I want fighters, not good ole boys who will try to manage mess the other side started!
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

Well Cruz does himself or his position no favors by recklessly misquoting historical figures.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

Dave Saxton wrote:Well Cruz does himself or his position no favors by recklessly misquoting historical figures.
LOL - but it has worked so well for the Left for ages.

B
RF

Post by RF »

frontkampfer wrote:Sorry RF, you may not like Cruz or his tone but he speaks for many who want the republicans to grow a backbone. Rolling over and saying rub my tummy is not going to win elections.
Growing a backbone doesn't require the telling of lies or slandering the dead to back your case. Reagen didn't do it, Wallace didn't do it and Goldwater didn't do it.

Telling lies and then being caught out trips you up and undermines the cause you are fighting for. Not clever tactics.
RF

Post by RF »

frontkampfer wrote:
The country needs bold differences not blurred lines.
We have that problem in the UK, but fortunately we no longer have a pure two party system the USA has. We now have the UK Independence Party that is starting to make an impact by building bottom upwards. I think you need something similar in the US.....
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

If a 3rd party happens in the US it will be because conservatives split from the republicans and form a new one. The establishment republicans fight and sabotage conservatives every chance they get. They hated Regan and could not wait to dump his policies. That's why papa Bush was a one-term'er.

Hat's off to Byron, so Cruz made a poor comparison, but obama & his fellow travelers get a pass . He was referring to rino republicans like McCain who cave to the democrats all the time. Despite the quote he has rallied the conservatives and even if they lose it galvanizes they to continue the struggle. Conservatives are sending a message, unless the republican party starts to act like they have a pair they will not get their vote and will not hold national power anymore!
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

A third party will also split the conservative, moderate, and libeterian vote. The progressives will win every election thereafter resulting in true one party rule. We do not have a parliment so multi party Gov can't work here. We also don't have a Politburo, but Obama is trying to make Congress a Politburo in practice. Congress is doing its job by standing against Obama's wishes. He is not an elected monarch. Its job is to be a check against the Pres. Its job is not to further Obama's agenda.

If Cruz wants to become the opposition leader then he needs to fly right and be more careful. Like Byron says, the left can get away with this crap because they will not be held to account by the corrupt media. The same is not true of a republican. They have little margin for error. Its a double standard but the reality of the situation. Look what happened to Palin. I don't know who will emerge? Mike Lee? Marco Rubio? Rand Paul? (Ron Paul is part of the problem facing conservatives)The dems have a similar problem. Hillary is a has been and she's responsible for Bengahzi. I also have doubts that America is ready for a women. Especially one so incompetent.They have nobody to follow Obama either.
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

Dave Saxton wrote:A third party will also split the conservative, moderate, and libeterian vote. The progressives will win every election thereafter resulting in true one party rule. We do not have a parliment so multi party Gov can't work here. We also don't have a Politburo, but Obama is trying to make Congress a Politburo in practice. Congress is doing its job by standing against Obama's wishes. He is not an elected monarch. Its job is to be a check against the Pres. Its job is not to further Obama's agenda.

If Cruz wants to become the opposition leader then he needs to fly right and be more careful. Like Byron says, the left can get away with this crap because they will not be held to account by the corrupt media. The same is not true of a republican. They have little margin for error. Its a double standard but the reality of the situation. Look what happened to Palin. I don't know who will emerge? Mike Lee? Marco Rubio? Rand Paul? (Ron Paul is part of the problem facing conservatives)The dems have a similar problem. Hillary is a has been and she's responsible for Bengahzi. I also have doubts that America is ready for a women. Especially one so incompetent.They have nobody to follow Obama either.
Well said Dave!!
RF

Post by RF »

Dave Saxton wrote:A third party will also split the conservative, moderate, and libeterian vote. The progressives will win every election thereafter resulting in true one party rule.
You are saying, in other words, that conservatives and libertarians are a minority.

If they are a minority then by right they shouldm't win any election.

Reagan, on the other hand, in 1984 came within 4,000 votes of winning all 50 states. You do that by building a coalition around your party and its outlook, as Reagan did, which takes in voters from all parties and none.

In Britain UKIP is often branded as an offshoot of the Conservative Party and is alleged to be a Conservative vote splitter. Yet it manages to win Labour seats in Labour strongholds where there is no Conservative vote to capture. It wins Lib Dem seats where the Conservatives have previously failed to win.

Radical conservatives can and do win votes that ''moderate'' conservatives can't whether in Britain or the US.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

Well all demographic groups are minority, so your right a coalition of sorts must be built.

What is really interesting are some demographic breakdowns I saw on the last election. Independants overwhelmingly voted for Romney-not Obama. Young voters also did not turn out for Obama like in 08 with many switching to Romney. What was the difference in the vote totals then? It was large numbers of conservatives sitting out the election. :shock:

Factor in some urban districts with 140% voter turn out, voting 98% for Obama, in key swing states such as Va, Pa, and Ohio and there you go.
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

Dave Saxton wrote:Well all demographic groups are minority, so your right a coalition of sorts must be built.

What is really interesting are some demographic breakdowns I saw on the last election. Independants overwhelmingly voted for Romney-not Obama. Young voters also did not turn out for Obama like in 08 with many switching to Romney. What was the difference in the vote totals then? It was large numbers of conservatives sitting out the election. :shock:

Factor in some urban districts with 140% voter turn out, voting 98% for Obama, in key swing states such as Va, Pa, and Ohio and there you go.
If the republicans go for the so called moderate candidate they will loose again. Conservatives are not going to vote for them just beacuse they are not democrats, especially when they see them having positions that are similar on the issues. Many conservatives feel that if the country wants to elect a train wreck party (democrats) let them. Sooner or later the voters will see what they got for their vote! Can you say obamacare?