Hipper Class Deck Rings

Warship design and construction, terminology, navigation, hydrodynamics, stability, armor schemes, damage control, etc.
frontkampfer

Hipper Class Deck Rings

Post by frontkampfer »

I've noticed that both Prinz Eugen and Hipper had double "deck rings" around A and D turrents. They appear in plan view on the drawings. What puprose did they serve? Were they kept throughout the war?

I asked this question on another forum too. If this question has be already addressed could someone supply a link?

Any info appreciated!
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
Jack B.

Re: Hipper Class Deck Rings

Post by Jack B. »

I believe the rings are to catch the spent shell cases. Somewhere there is a picture with a bunch of cases piled up by these rings.
frontkampfer

Re: Hipper Class Deck Rings

Post by frontkampfer »

Thanks for responding. If anyone knows where the photo might be I'd like to see it. The thing that puzzles me most is that if you look at wartime photos, the rings appear in some photos and not in others. In some you can only see one set of rings. Obviously that would make them removable and their use conditional on whether action was likely or no longer practical.

I've included a link to a site that has cad renderings of Prinz Eugen around the time of RHEINÜBUNG. Photos #2 and #7 show them the clearest.

http://3dhistory.de/wordpress/?page_id=34
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"