Most Beautiful Dreadnought

General naval discussions that don't fit within any specific time period or cover several issues.
Bgile

Re: Most Beautiful Dreadnought

Post by Bgile »

I consider a Dreadnought to be a ship with battleship caliber guns, all of which are of the same size and can fire to both sides of the ship.
lwd

Post by lwd »

Bgile wrote:I consider a Dreadnought to be a ship with battleship caliber guns, all of which are of the same size and can fire to both sides of the ship.
So you are including Alaska, Graf Spee, Furious, Glorious, and Coragious? Not to mention Robers and Abercrombie>
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

lwd wrote:
Bgile wrote:I consider a Dreadnought to be a ship with battleship caliber guns, all of which are of the same size and can fire to both sides of the ship.
So you are including Alaska, Graf Spee, Furious, Glorious, and Coragious? Not to mention Robers and Abercrombie>
Yes, absolutely. I believe that represents the advance represented by Dreadnought and other contemporary ships. Prior to that, ships had more than one caliber of heavy gun and many of them couldn't fire to either side, which was very inefficient and is why Dreadnought completely outclassed them on the same displacement.
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

Bgile wrote:
lwd wrote:
Yes, absolutely. I believe that represents the advance represented by Dreadnought and other contemporary ships. Prior to that, ships had more than one caliber of heavy gun and many of them couldn't fire to either side, which was very inefficient and is why Dreadnought completely outclassed them on the same displacement.
I agree with Bgile, as well

Alaska's are definately in, but you do get in a gray area including Pocket Battleships and Fisher's crazy light battlecrusiers. Just to make everything easy they should be included since their designs are based on true dreadnoughts and they would be capable of fighting them, though not that well
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
lwd

Post by lwd »

Bgile wrote:
lwd wrote:
In some cases but the ACW moniters for instance usualy carried the same size gun.
lwd

Post by lwd »

Kyler wrote:
Bgile wrote:[quote="lwd]So you are including Alaska, Graf Spee, Furious, Glorious, and Coragious? Not to mention Robers and Abercrombie>
I agree with Bgile, as well

Alaska's are definately in, but you do get in a gray area including Pocket Battleships and Fisher's crazy light battlecrusiers. Just to make everything easy they should be included since their designs are based on true dreadnoughts and they would be capable of fighting them, though not that well[/quote][/quote][/quote]
What about Roberts, Abercrombie, and thier ilk?
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

Though armed with Dreadnought weapons, they were designed at costal bombarding vessels. I wouldn't consider them dreadnoughts that just my opinion
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
chcrawfish

Post by chcrawfish »

RF wrote:Where would you part Scharnhorst if its not in your top five crawfish?
SCHARNHORST, KONGO, REPULSE, ALASKA, RICHELIEU...my 6-10
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

lwd wrote:In some cases but the ACW moniters for instance usualy carried the same size gun.
Sure, but that predates the whole era of the battleship. I realize they qualify by my definition, and I suppose they do represent the first use of center line turrets although those were the only guns they had.
neil hilton

Post by neil hilton »

I don't know how anybody can think Iowa is pretty, not with that bow. Repulses bow however is very pretty.
The Kongos are well proprotioned too overall.
Veni, vidi, verrimus!
I came, I saw, I swept the floor!
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Well, these are some photos of the some Battleships (models at 1:350) which made some points on which is the most beautiful.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/alb ... 333&ref=pb

Bismarck, Hood and Repulse fit the bill for me.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

Karl, you don't seem like the facebook type
Karl Heidenreich

Kyler;
Karl, you don't seem like the facebook type
Weill, I do what I can to be as friendly as can be, life is short anyway. I know that according to mkenny I'm the devil and Genda says no one is uglier than me (maybe because he did his assesment before mkenny appeared). However, I will like to know what do I look to you?
Sir Winston Churchill
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

I would not say your the devil, you just have a habit of being annoying from time to time like you last post about Jutland

The best way to put it, sometimes you mute button is broken
Karl Heidenreich

:silenced:
Sir Winston Churchill