A ship history : Prinz Eugen

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
Antonio Bonomi

A ship history : Prinz Eugen

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao all,

here the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen :

Ciao Antonio :D
Antonio Bonomi

A Prinz Eugen camouflage question

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao all,

I would like to extend also to you all this ' trivial ' question on Prinz Eugen camouflage.

When and were was this photo taken of Prinz Eugen ??

http://www.forum.marinearchiv.de/viewto ... d77d#14991

MJQ
Supporter

Post by MJQ »

Excellent photo Antonio. I'm going to guess that the pictures was taken in May 1942, in Norway, just before Prinz Eugen returned to Germany.

Would love to see a picture of the camo pattern on the other side...
Martin
Antonio Bonomi

Prinz Eugen during Op. Zauberflote

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Martin and all,

YES, your guess is right, early May 1942 just before Operation Zauberflote ( 16 till 18 May 1942 from Trondheim to Kiel ).

You should have noticed the repair ship Huascaran just behind the Prinz Eugen... still there after a good job done on the ' dummy ' rudders and the stern temporarly repaired to enable Prinz Eugen to sail back home.

Unfortunately I have to disappoint you on the other side photos, .. I saw it and have them too, .. but I cannot show them as they are of a private collection :( .

But I have made the drawing as I do have 2 photos of the other side and on the drawing the camouflage is perfectly showed both sides ( which is symmetric by the way ).

MJQ
Supporter

Re: Prinz Eugen during Op. Zauberflote

Post by MJQ »

Antonio Bonomi wrote:Ciao Martin and all,

YES, your guess is right, early May 1942 just before Operation Zauberflote ( 16 till 18 May 1942 from Trondheim to Kiel ).

You should have noticed the repair ship Huascaran just behind the Prinz Eugen... still there after a good job done on the ' dummy ' rudders and the stern temporarly repaired to enable Prinz Eugen to sail back home.

Unfortunately I have to disappoint you on the other side photos, .. I saw it and have them too, .. but I cannot show them as they are of a private collection :( .

But I have made the drawing as I do have 2 photos of the other side and on the drawing the camouflage is perfectly showed both sides ( which is symmetric by the way ).

Nice to know I can make a good guess once in awhile!!

I thought I saw another ship behind Prinz Eugen - you can see the derricks (at least I think that is what they are) just behind Prinz Eugen's funnel.

Good to know the camo is matched from side to side - but I'd be reluctant to cut off the stern of a perfectly good model to try and replicate this scene!! :lol:
Martin
Antonio Bonomi

Prinz Eugen in LoFjord

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Martin and all,

.. well, you got a good intuition :clap: ... Yes, they are there behind Prinz Eugen as Huascaran was anchored alongside her, ..

..I understand you been reluctant,.. but you know modeling is good because everybody likes to make something different,.. and here the challenge will be to cut the stern,.. reproduce the ' new ' rudder system,.. which is very particular ,..an make Huascaran and the environment as precise as they can,..which is very challenging,.. and by the way I can provide a photo of Huascaran as well which shows her camo,..pretty nice,..

..on the other hand now you have a very beautiful 1 / 700 Tamiya Prinz Eugen which correctly modified provides a good model base,.. and this beautiful unique and never showed camouflage, .. as everybody only thought that Admiral Hipper was wearing this type of camouflage,.. now it is proven that Prizn Eugen had one as well.

So please I invite modelers to try this new one or the Sportpalast or Cerberus ones I provided as well,.. we are sick and tyred of seeing the Prinz Eugen only with the Baltic camo, .... it is boring.

.. than if one wants to modify it to Adm Hipper or Blucher,.. than the fun will increase, ..

Antonio Bonomi

Prinz Eugen drawings,... full life

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao all,

here the Prinz Eugen full life evolution drawings.

It is very interesting now to look at the colous she was wearing during Op. Rheinubung and compare with the ones of, ... the Bismarck :wink: .

Enjoy them, and again a special thank to Abram :

Abram Joslin

Post by Abram Joslin »

I hope everyone likes our work!

I was so excited upon finishing the Admiral Hipper class drawings that Antonio and I have already started on a new project, so stay tuned!

The best part about this whole thing is how much I've learned about each ship, DKM ships and their history are truly fascinating, and Antonio really knows his stuff, he's a great and kowledgable guy and I couldn't have done this without his help for sure!