The Wolf

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
RF

The Wolf

Post by RF »

I have recently come across a book entitled ''The Wolf'' by Richard Guilliatt and Peter Hohnen, published by Bantam Press, covering in very great detail the epic cruise of the WW1 hilfskreuzer. It is a very well researched and readable book that took five years to compile, complete with crew and prisoner lists. Highly recommended.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Gary

Re: The Wolf

Post by Gary »

Hi RF.

It certainly looks/sounds a good book.
After dropping a subtle hint or two I'm hoping Santa Claus will bring me a copy :wink:
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
RF

Post by RF »

Hello Gary, and Christmabs greetings to you. Glad you like the book, and may Santa find you a copy from his Grotto.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Good old Santa - He brought me the Wolf book :dance:
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
RF

Post by RF »

Enjoy the book and don't forget to avoid anything called Hitachi Maru if go on a holiday cruise.......
Gary

Post by Gary »

Well I've nearly finished the book, Wolf has returned to Germany and the Igotz Mendi has just ran aground off Denmark.
I found it heart rendering that the Japanese Captain of the HITACHI MARU felt compelled to commit suicide by jumping overbaord.
He had felt deep shame and guilt over his ships capture and blamed his crews predicament upon himself
RIP to the Poor man
RF

Post by RF »

Well, at least he was prepared to accept a personal responsibility for that ships' fate - more than what some Japanese leaders a generation later were prepared to accept.

Incidently I have now seen this book in my local public library - a good read.