Norwegian Fjords charts

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
marcelo_malara

Norwegian Fjords charts

Post by marcelo_malara »

I noticed that in one of the postings prepared by Antonio there is a part of a nautical chart of one of the fjords. Is there any possibility of getting digital nautical charts for the rest of the fjords? May be Terje as a native speaker can look for them in local websites.

Kind regards to all
RF

Re: Norwegian Fjords charts

Post by RF »

Or obtaining them from the Norwegian authorities online - Norway should have some sort of diplomatic representation in Buenos Aires with online contact, so this could be a vehicle to obtain these charts, or at least find sources, with appropriate Spanish translations?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Hi Robert. I have been in contact privately with Terje, who is kindly looking in local pages to try to find them. I explained him, that wth the advent of the GPS, it is common for sailors to scan charts in order to load them to GPS sets or to PCs programs like OZI Explorer, and they usually end online for free. Regarding the translation, don´t worry, most are in English and the symbols used are internationally agreed and their meaning are available for example here http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/chartno1.htm#toc.

A nautical chart is the most accurate and detailed coastal map you can find. You can see the configuration of the shore, the dephts. the bottom material, usually the height of the surroundings, etc...
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Guys, I found this site with topo maps of Northern Europe, very good:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/northern_europe/

Regards