Sports Cars someone?

Anything else you want to talk about.
Karl Heidenreich

Sports Cars someone?

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Hey,

Are there car fans here? F1? Le Mans? Porsche? Aston Martin? Ferrari? (No frenchies, please) Corvette Stingray? GTO? Has someone something against the objective statement that Porsche built the best cars in the whole world? Do someone here likes American Hot Rods with superchargers throwing flames out the muffler?

Best regards,

Karl
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
Bgile

Re: Sports Cars someone?

Post by Bgile »

I raced cars in my youth and I followed international racing, especially F1. But that was a long time ago, and I haven't kept up with it. Is Porsche involved in F1 now? I think they have been in and out of that circuit over the years haven't they?

With respect to Porsche, it seemed like they were always the ones favored to win in the classes in which they competed. I have noticed you are fond of all things German and I of course rooted for US stuff even though it was usually the underdog. I haven't really followed the racing news since the 70s though.
Karl Heidenreich

Bgile,

In my youth I was an "illegal drag racer" on the streets of San José. By those time I used a Nissan and later a Chevy Nova with a six cilinder engine. Good times.

Porsche has long quit at the F1, I imagine it was because the turbos were banned and now all engines must be "aspirated".

My Porsche fixation (I have a shiny red 944 in my garage and seeking to buy me a classic 911) came since my childhood because those cars dominated the Central American Speed Championship. And since then the classic 911 turbo has been the dawn and the dusk of autos for me.

Nevertheless I have been very fond of US cars, specially the muscle cars. I have a preference for the Mustang Mach 1 which I regard as the most good looking car the US has ever produced after John Dillinger´s Packard. I love Mustangs as I do love Hot Rods a lot, specially those 40ies and 50ies cars converted with superchargers and speciall transmisions and such. For many years I only owned American cars being Jeep Cherokee a one that I appreciatte a lot but the fuel consumption force me to sell it and buy a korean turbo diesel SUV. Also the Stingray I regard not only as a very beautifull car but one of the greatest sports cars ever.

Lately, because I am a fan of James Bond, the Aston Martins have been brought to my atention and they are gorgeous cars that, speaking direct, look much better than the latest Italian ones from Ferrari and Lamborghini (I don´t like the Bugatti at all nor the Maserati).

You race? Where? That´s interesting: you have been in a boomer and now you have race cars (and I do recall you once said something of operating a tank, also).

Best regards,

Karl
Sir Winston Churchill
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

I know claiming all these things can sound fishy, but it's true.

I was in the USN from '67 to '76 and made a lot of submarine patrols. I was never in a boomer ... one diesel boat and the rest were SSNs. When I was stationed at PH I would go out for two to six months and not have much chance to spend money. When I came back I would spend it all on cars. I had a MGB and then a Firebird 400 and then a Firebird Trans Am. I raced them in Slaloms at Hawaii Raceway Park and Hickam AFB. I also got involved in a dirt oval stock car and I switched driving that with another guy.

After I got out of the Navy I got married and lived in LaGrande, OR for several years. I needed money and joined the Army National Guard. In the ANG I served in 3rd Sqdn 116 Armored Cav and eventually commanded a tank (M60). Then I moved to the Portland area and transferred to another ACR and served in M60A3s.

Eventually I finished my 20 years in the Naval Reserve.

Now I'm a Database Administrator and will retiring again soon I hope. :)
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

If I could add a sportscar to the list, I'd mention the E-24 model from BMW, commonly referred to as the Sharknose. This car is, in my eyes, one of the most handsome cars to ever roll off an assembly line in Europe, from the typical 635 CSI to the ultimate but rare Alpina B7-version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E24

...and while I'm still in the European corner, why not show you one of the lesser known sportscars, the Lotus Omega, also known as the Lotus Carlton? This car is indeed a rare piece of automobile history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Carlton
Karl Heidenreich

Terje,

I have always like a lot the 635 CSi, a lot. It´s one of the most good looking cars ever. I have always wanted to buy one but since I got in the Porsche corner I don´t have resources to go both ways.

I do believe that the most powerfull and fastest car ever produced is the Porsche 917 with it´s flat 12 engine (alongisde Ferrari 512, but Porsche beat that Ferrari).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_917

I just buyed the movie "Le Mans" with Steve McQueen where the race of 1970 is re created. The star obviuosly is not McQueen but the Gulf Porsche 917. I´m now looking to buy me a 911, a classic from the 70ies or early 80ies, even in not so good conditions in order to restore it.

An other car to take a good look is this monster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin_One-77

Best regards,
Sir Winston Churchill
Karl Heidenreich

One car that I have always liked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_Mach_1
Sir Winston Churchill
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

My favorite Mustang was the Boss 302. My stock car racing buddy had one and I liked it better than my Trans Am because it was more of a pure race car. Another friend had a Boss 429, but it was way too nose heavy to be fast on anything with curves.
Karl Heidenreich

Bgile:
My favorite Mustang was the Boss 302. My stock car racing buddy had one and I liked it better than my Trans Am because it was more of a pure race car. Another friend had a Boss 429, but it was way too nose heavy to be fast on anything with curves.
Yeah! I have read that same statement at the Hot Rod magazine, amazing! Sure the 302 (which even with this name I do believe is considered a Small Block, isn´t?) will beat for the street the 429 which is way to heavy because it can handle better when steer is required instead of the straight line race. I do believe that drag racers do use the 429 for special convertions to even higher capacity and add blowers and nitro in order to get 6 seconds in the 1/4 mile, something of sorts?

Do those engines are still being produced?

Best regards,
Sir Winston Churchill
Karl Heidenreich

Bgile:
Yeah! I have read that same statement at the Hot Rod magazine, amazing! Sure the 302 (which even with this name I do believe is considered a Small Block, isn´t?) will beat for the street the 429, which is way to heavy, because it (the 302) can handle better when steering is required instead of the straight line race. I do believe that drag racers do use the 429 for special convertions to even higher capacity and add blowers and nitro in order to get 6 seconds in the 1/4 mile, something of sorts?

Best regards,
Sir Winston Churchill
Karl Heidenreich

About the Mach One and the engines Steve talk about:

1. I do believe that the Mach One used both, depending in the model: the Boss 302, the so called Windsor, and the most famous 351 Cleveland.
2. The Mach One´s last model came with the Boss 429 super engine. I do imagine that if you have it running at the gas station while filling it the tank wil never get totally full... :dance: But what an engine!

Kind regards,
Sir Winston Churchill
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:Bgile:
Yeah! I have read that same statement at the Hot Rod magazine, amazing! Sure the 302 (which even with this name I do believe is considered a Small Block, isn´t?) will beat for the street the 429, which is way to heavy, because it (the 302) can handle better when steering is required instead of the straight line race. I do believe that drag racers do use the 429 for special convertions to even higher capacity and add blowers and nitro in order to get 6 seconds in the 1/4 mile, something of sorts?

Best regards,
No, I don't think those engines are still being produced. They wouldn't pass emission standards. Ford has revived the old Mustang body style this year though, and Chevy has made a Camaro that looks a lot like the '69 Camaro.

I think the Boss 302 preceded the Mach I. It had special paint and didn't have the scoops in the hood that the Mach I had. The 302 was considered "small block" and more to the point was under the 5.0 liter (305 cubic inch) limit for the Trans Am racing series. The Z-28 Camaro was iirc also 302 cubic inches. My Firebird had a 400 cid engine which had to be de-stroked to get it under the limit for the racing series.

I too loved the Le Mans movie, and I agree the star was the Gulf Porsche 917 and to a lesser extend the Ferrari 512. That was lost on most movie goers though. I also thought the end was a bit unbelievable, but it was still fun to watch. I think those were the fastest cars ever to race at Le Mans because soon after that they introduced the 3 liter limit.
Karl Heidenreich

Bgile:
I too loved the Le Mans movie, and I agree the star was the Gulf Porsche 917 and to a lesser extend the Ferrari 512. That was lost on most movie goers though. I also thought the end was a bit unbelievable, but it was still fun to watch. I think those were the fastest cars ever to race at Le Mans because soon after that they introduced the 3 liter limit.
You are right: the organizators thought those cars were what they were: monsters. And they were shortlived. The 917 raced upon Le Mans for just three years: 69, 70 and 71. After that the 3 liter limit came and finish their careers. Then they were sent for the CAN AM racing tracks were they not only accepted but upgraded with turbos that increased their power to over 1,100 bhp!

The movie Le Mans, in theory, despicts the original 1970 race in which the 917 won. I do imagine they fix it a little to have a more dramatic effect.

On cars, I see that you have experience with both: Ford and Chevy. I have always regarded Ford as more powerful but Chevy more reliable. What do you think?

Best regards,
Sir Winston Churchill
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Hi Karl,

Actually that is too long ago for me to remember very many details and the magazines etc are long gone, I'm afraid. My actual experience was limited to the Firebirds, which incidentally had the same rear end and axle assembly as the Z-28 Camaro. I found that out the hard way when the Pontiac dealership didn't know that and put the wrong studs in my rear wheels. I almost lost one. The firebird and Camaro were very similar cars, both made by GM.
Karl Heidenreich

Bgile:

I correct me if I´m wrong but the Firebirds and all those beautiful Pontiacs are gone now with GM´s crisis, isn´t it? Because I always look to those cars with fondness. My dad was always a European car fan (and I am, don´t get me wrong) and talked very bad about the American Cars (he used to say that GMC stand for "Grande, Malo y Caro" which in English goes for Big, Bad and Expensive). But my first GM car was a Chevy Nova and it wasn´t that bad. A car that can run with a leak in it´s carter is a "strong" car. :silenced: (My fault). Then I have this Chevy pick up with a six in line 250 engine which was just awesome. What a car! Simple but powerful. I can´t forget the day I crossed a stream during the huricane season in Costa Rica (it was 4 x 2) and my boss was behind me with a Pathfinder 4 x 4 and I had to go and look for a farm tractor to get him out of the mud. :whistle: It used a single small barrel carburator. I still have the car and I´m thinking, seriously, to fix it as some kind of monster truck and give it to my son as soon as he have a driver license.
And I had the Jeep Cherokee. Automatic transmision. 4 x 4. 250 engine. The only problem was the expenditure in gas. Now I have a Korean turbo Diesel that, being honest, is not that bad.
The plan now that I finished with my 944 is to get me a 911 and began to restore it. I found this guys in Miami that sell you everything to do that.

Best regards,

Karl
Sir Winston Churchill