USS Wisconsin tour

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

USS Wisconsin tour

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

Ulrich
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

I visited the USS WISCONSIN today. What a sight: A super BB in perfect shape, in reserve status, 1000 m from my hotel room! A vet from the Gulf War told me that she was tweaked to go 39 kn with all engines running. Is that possible?

Pictures to follow when I get home.
Ulrich
turlock

U.S.S. Wisconsin

Post by turlock »

39 knots Ulrich? The Iowa's had nearly 250,000 shp at full power, which under ideal loading and sea conditions enabled New Jersey to hit 35 knots on post refit trials for Viet Nam service. 39 knots would require another quantum leap in SHP to over 300,000 and I just don't see how it is possible.
I'm glad you enjoyed Wisky, as I have.
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Ulrich
ontheslipway
Supporter

Post by ontheslipway »

vet from the Gulf War told me that she was tweaked to go 39 kn with all engines running. Is that possible?
Absolutely not
designeraccd

Post by designeraccd »

On our vacation in August our final destination was Norfolk to tour the Wisconsin. I had last seen her thru the Long Beach smog in 1990 prior to her mission to the Gulf.

Despite having a very bad hip (since replaced a month ago) I took both a pain killer and muscle relaxer so that I could finally walk her decks, which I did with delight from the Kentucky's bow to just short of her stern. Of course I climbed every superstructure deck that was open too. Also had several pleasant conversations with some of the volunteers who serve on board her. This last U.S. BB is truly a magnificent engineering accomplishment and a very fine looking warship. IMO as an Industrial Designer most warships that undergo extensive conversions suffer, visually, in the process. Not so the Wisky and her sisters: more handsome and powerful than ever...truly a superb pc. of naval architecture.

The pictures I took of her will be reviewed with pleasure every time I look at them, including several from the harbor tour ride. BTW 4 of the Nimitz class were in...wow! DFO :D
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

I think that seeing the photos of the USS WISCONSIN collision in 1956 shows how vulnerable ships can be :oops: http://www.usswisconsin.org/Pictures/Co ... lision.htm
Ulrich