Big gun Barrel Re-lining (Yamato)

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
jazsa80

Big gun Barrel Re-lining (Yamato)

Post by jazsa80 »

It seems to me that there is another 'fact' quickily evolving across the net. This 'fact' being that Yamato and Musashi's guns were rarely used due to concerns with Barrel life. I am seeing posts suggesting a barrel lifes of between 75-100 rounds and that the Japanese didnt have the facitlities in place to replace the Barrels.

I feel that this is rubbish. Japan had quite a number of BBs and would have to have the facilties to replace BB barrels. But am I right in thinking that the barrels don't have to be replaced? Are they not simply relined? Basically, from the limited information available, the Barrels are simply removed and put through the last part of the manufacturing process which invloves the installation of the rifled barrel liner.

Especially concerning the Yamato's, there were already 9 or more barrels ready for replacing (Shinano's). But from what I have read the whole procedure from barrel removal to re-installation wouldn't have taken more than a month. I have read that the guns couldnt be removed due to the weight and others saying that the process would have taken 6 months to a year (for Yamato's). This seems to me that it will eventually become fact that the Japanese were reluctant to fire the guns because they couldnt replace the barrels by just being repeated on the net over and over again.

On another note, does anybody have any imformation on any of the Iowa's barrels being replaced. People are touting how much gunnery practise the Iowa's undertook but I can find no evidence of them having their barrels relined. They would have needed to be replaced at least once with all this shell expenditure.
lwd

Re: Big gun Barrel Re-lining.(Yamato)

Post by lwd »

Most BBs could have their barrels relined. The Yamato's were apparently a bit different.

See: http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNJAP_18-45_t94.htm
A total of 27 guns were produced, ...
These guns had an unusually complex construction, ...
A great disadvantage of this type of construction was that the gun could only be relined by completely boring out the inner A tube. This was so expensive a process that it was considered to be more practical to simply replace a worn out gun with a new one
Bgile

Re: Big gun Barrel Re-lining.(Yamato)

Post by Bgile »

I don't have dates and times, but I've read of the Iowa class having linings replaced a number of times. Obviously they had to be, considering the thousands of rounds fired. Barrel life was much longer than in Yamato. The barrel life was originally 290 rounds, but it was increased over the years with improved powder and a special additive until it was increased to 390 and eventually was so long that the spec was changed to reflect wear and tear on the rest of the gun system and was iirc about 1500 rounds in the late 20 century.
jazsa80

Re: Big gun Barrel Re-lining (Yamato)

Post by jazsa80 »

Inregards to the Iowas: Do you guys know of any photos ofthe procedure (relining) or actual dates when the ships were in port having it done. Ive searched the net and cannot find anything.

In regards to Yamato: Its been stated on that if the Midway exercise was successful that the Yamato would not have been used to Bombard Midway due to barrel wear concerns. I see this as nonsense. The Yamato may not have been used for this purpose but it would be due to her being the Flagship and not being in the bombardment group. Its also getting thrown around that the reason they were not used at Guadalcanal was because of the wear issues. I was pretty sure it was agreed that the reason the Yamato's were not used was due to the fuel reserves not being there.

What would be required to remove the Yamato's rifles? Turret removal?

And that Nav weapons site suggested it was possible to rebore the barrels but it was considered expensive. The Yamato's were expensive in there own right, I would doubt this would stop the IJN from performing the procedure if it was required.

I can just see this becoming 'fact' on the net by being repeated over and over again (Yamato's barrels not able to be re-newed).
lwd

Post by lwd »

jazsa80 wrote:Inregards to the Iowas: Do you guys know of any photos ofthe procedure (relining)
You might look through these. I didn't see anything on the first page but lots of nice photos.
http://images.google.com/images?q=battl ... 1&ct=title
.... The Yamato may not have been used for this purpose but it would be due to her being the Flagship and not being in the bombardment group. ...
Indeed from some of what I've read I get the sense that at least pre war bombardment was considered beneath the dignity of Japanese BBs. They obviously broke with that for the attacks on Henderson but had little in the way of doctrine even at that point.
...And that Nav weapons site suggested it was possible to rebore the barrels but it was considered expensive. The Yamato's were expensive in there own right, I would doubt this would stop the IJN from performing the procedure if it was required. ...
They suggested that it would probably be cheaper to manufacture new ones rather than rebore them. If the process were started before barrel wear was a serious problem it would also be faster. Might be faster in any case.

For actual dates check the ship histories. I may even have seen a photo on one but it's been a while.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

I don't think US guns were relined in place. I think there were spare barrels and those were replaced in the turrets and then the guns were taken elsewhere to be relined. I don't have a reference, though. I remember seening a photo of spare barrels lined up somewhere.