A ship history : Tirpitz

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
Antonio Bonomi

A ship history : Tirpitz

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao all,

here comes the : Tirpitz

... so my ' Lovely Queen of the North ' .......

Ciao Antonio :D
Antonio Bonomi

Tirpitz turret camo

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao all,

I am sure many would like to see and know those details of Op. Rosselsprung Tirpitz camouflage scheme.

http://www.forum.marinearchiv.de/viewto ... a0c2#15710

Ciao Antonio :D
VeenenbergR

Remarks on beautiful calenders

Post by VeenenbergR »

I have some suggestions to the already beautiful pictorials:

1). add drawings (Skizzen) of the ships with their camouflage schemes.

2). There were numerous beautiful original sharp colour photo's made of Gneisenau, Lützow, Tirpitz, Hipper, Prinz Eugen and Scharnhorst in the wartime Magazine Signal but these also appeared at Internet, some german books about their major warships. These showed all the German turret top colors like Karmin (rosarot) of the Eugen, the light blue on the Scharnhorst, the dark Yellow on the Gneisenau aso.

I know about 24 beautiful colour photographs. Please collect all these and depict them in the calenders.
Antonio Bonomi

Re: A ship history : Tirpitz

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

69 years ago Tirpitz was sunk in Tromso. R.I.P young sailors and ... my Lovely Queen of the North ...

Bye Antonio
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

Antonio Bonomi wrote:Hello everybody,

69 years ago Tirpitz was sunk in Tromso. R.I.P young sailors and ... my Lovely Queen of the North ...

Bye Antonio
Such good work Antonio...

A very beautifull ship... I don't know if it's because I watched her so many times in pictures, but in my opinion she fits very very nicely in the Arctic landscape.
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello Alecsandros,

YES, you are right .... my LOVELY QUEEN of the NORTH !

Bye Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
Thorsten Wahl

Post by Thorsten Wahl »

just a comment
"15th of october 1944 towed to Tromsoe"
should mean "relocated under own power". Even the foreship was mostly flooded by the Tallboy hit during PARAVANE the machinery was ready for use and strenght of structure allowed for velocities of 15 knots. The help of the ten tugs was not required.(war diary)
Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

introducing a complete new dimension on Tirpitz and Bismarck books.

April 1st, 2014, ... 75 years after her launch, ... our Tirpitz book Number 1 will be released.

More to come ... on Tirpitz as well as on Bismarck.

You will NOT believe what you will be able to see, learn and realize ... GUARANTEED !

http://www.bismarck-tirpitz.com/

Bye Antonio
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

Hi Antonio,

Let me ask you a few questions about the evolution of Tirpitz's armament:

- We know that in March 1942, occured her Lofoten raid, in which she was attacked by 12 Albacores launched from Victorious. 2 were shot down, and several others badly damaged for no hits. Do you know what was her AA defence at the time ?

- Are there any records of her firing trials in Baltic or Norway ? I know she performed several, but I do not have any infos...

Thank you very much, and wish you all the best,
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Alecsandros,

YES, I do know everything about Tirpitz evolutions including the A/A armament.

Here you go for March 1942 during Op. Sportpalast and the Albacore attack.

12 by 20 mm single mount

16 = 4 x 4 by 20 mm on vierling mounting ( quadruple )

16 = 8 x 2 by 37 mm twin mount

16 = 8 x 2 by 105 mm twin mount

I do not have her official firing record reports, ... I will try to see what I can find for you on the KTB's.

alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

That would mean the difference between Tirpitz and Bismarck in terms of AA in March 1942 were only the 4 Vierlings ?

I expected more of them... Because Tirpitz performed far better against the 12 Albacores than Bismarck did against the 8 (later 15) Swordfishes...

Oh well, better training, Friedrich Ihn close by, and perhaps better luck...
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Alecsandros,

No, only 2 vierlings more than Bismarck that had the 2 vierlings on the searchlight platform just like Tirpitz.

The 2 Tirpitz more vierlings were the ones aft, on the base of the rangefinder protecting the stern area, ... having learned the Bismarck lesson :wink: .

The rest was the same even if Bismarck ha 2 single 20 mm Werhmacht mounting aft, ... but she did not reutilize the 2 by 20 mms single removed from the searchlight platform when they installed the 2 vierlings there, ... like Tirpitz did instead ... to increase the overall A/A fire capability.

The difference on the performances was done by the Arado 196 Tirpitz used ... to attack the Albacores ... while Bismarck was not using any airplane to defend herself.

If only they had thought about putting some fighters on board ... like British did with Hurricanes ... and Italian did with Reggiane on the Littorio class too.

Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

I believe Bismarck's 37mm were single mounts and also loaded one round at a time.
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

Antonio,

Thank you for the info, and they were indeed twin mounts as you indicated. However, they were also hand loaded one round at a time. I have seen a photo of them in action, and you can see clearly from the photo you indicated that there is no place for a multi round magazine.