Pearl Harbor Conspiracy Theory?

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
marcelo_malara

Re: Pearl Harbor Conspiracy Theory?

Post by marcelo_malara »

3) Pearl Harbor, certain the loss of a couple of old battleship of WW1 vintage is no great loss the the US
I don´t agree with this. The new BBs of the USN were just entering service (or about to), so they were not ready. That means that ALL the 15 BBs of the USN were "WWI" vintage, and some of the damaged in Pearl were armed with 16" guns. Moreover, the superiority of the aircraft over a SAILING BB was not proven yet: it was on December 10th with the loss of Repulse and PoW that it became plainly clear, but not before that. Even the mass attack of Swordfish on BS managed just to hit her twice.

Kind regards
dfrighini

Post by dfrighini »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:Oberwarrior,

Also we must acknowledge the afinity, during WWII, of FDR and his close colaborators to help out the Soviet Union from the nazi menace. Last year, when reading a book about the "political incorrect" history of the US many issues point out about FDR need to get into the war to help up Uncle Joe. Not a Consipary Theory supporter myself I do believe that the Pearl attack was very welcome by FDR.

Best regards,
Good point, I'm sure I remember hearing somewhere that FDR opinion was not 'if we go to war' but 'when we go to war', keeping with US tradition of waiting before entering a war until her enemies have bled themselves white. I have similar feelings about many conspiracy theories, but on the other hand I don't believe thing are a black and white as they are often dressed up to be. I believe the truth often lies somewhere in the middle.

Certain the attack on Pearl rapidly changed the whole board game and opened opportunities.

I'm a British citizen, of Swiss & Italian decent who now lives in Russia, so I've seen a lot of different opinions and interpretation of the so called true. One persons truths are another persons lies and visa vie.

I'll have a look for this book "political incorrect" history of the US, sounds interesting. )))

kind regards
Dominic Righini-Brand
dfrighini@me.com
dfrighini

Post by dfrighini »

marcelo_malara wrote:
3) Pearl Harbor, certain the loss of a couple of old battleship of WW1 vintage is no great loss the the US
I don´t agree with this. The new BBs of the USN were just entering service (or about to), so they were not ready. That means that ALL the 15 BBs of the USN were "WWI" vintage, and some of the damaged in Pearl were armed with 16" guns. Moreover, the superiority of the aircraft over a SAILING BB was not proven yet: it was on December 10th with the loss of Repulse and PoW that it became plainly clear, but not before that. Even the mass attack of Swordfish on BS managed just to hit her twice.

Kind regards
Whether it was proven or not is something of a mute after point, otherwise America & Japan would not have invested so heavily in aircraft carriers during the interwar period. I admit the tests done after WW1 to prove that air power can sink a battleship were not conclusive because the Ostfriesland was not crewed, had no damage control and was stationary, however the writing was already on the war. Before WW1 everyone thought battleships were the supreme incarnation of naval power, and yet this was proven wrong by the u-boat and the torpedo. Aircraft and aircraft carriers were simply the next logical step, a battleship can only be really useful in a world without u-boats and in particular air power. Certainly even the US and Japan showed some signs of being slow to adapt to the new philosophy, perhaps the Japanese should not have build Yamato, they would have been better off with a couple more battle carriers, and yet what is more surprising is the US reacted, hence the building of the Iowa etc. typical arms race.

Regarding a battleships useful life, this is certainly long, and the Royal navy proved with ships like HMS Warspite (also of WW1 vintage) that you can get value for money. However the new ships which America was building, which were not present a Pearl, where considerably batter, and as proven by Iowa etc. had a valuable service life which ran until almost this century. Have rebuilt some of the battleships which were in all intents and purpose sunk at Pearl during the attack, these were then retied soon after the war, because they had reached the end of there valuable service life. As WW2 proved, America was not really on her back foot because these ships were out of action.

Had three or four aircraft carries been put out of action a Pearl then America really would have problems. )))

kind regards
Dominic Righini-Brand
dfrighini@me.com
dfrighini

Post by dfrighini »

I would say a good battleship would have a peace time life of between twenty and thirty years, had Pearl Harbor not have happened I suspect the Americans would have retired a few of their old hulks sitting in Pearl within a few years. Even if you take the carries out of the argument and compare these ships to other battleship, including the new ships under construction in America, I doubt these old ships effectiveness.

For example, BB-39 USS Arizona, top speed 21 kts, in a battle many newer faster battleship, all be it with lighter guns would run rings around her. Some of them might have big guns, but the are slow, and can be ranged by younger battleship which also have the legs on them. The faster ship should have an advantage, as they can pitch the battle, this really is Iowa's winning quality IMO. She is faster than the famous two (Sharnhorst & Gneisenau) but has a good balance of armor vs. firepower.

The US ships in Pearl, as listed below are not spring chicks, and due for the breakers yard in a few years if it was not for the war.

1. USS Arizona, 21 kts, commissioned 1916, 14 inch guns.
2. USS California, 21 kts, commissioned 1921, 14 inch guns.
3. USS Maryland, 21 kts, commissioned 1921, 16 inch guns.
4. USS Tennessee, 21 kts, commissioned 1920, 14 inch guns.
5. USS West Virginia, 21 kts, commissioned 1923, 16 inch guns.
6. USS Nevada, 20 kts, commissioned 1916, 14 inch guns.
7. USS Pennsylvania, 21 kts, commissioned 1916, 14 inch guns.

I have mentioned the dates when each of these ships were commissioned, if you take into account the date when the ships were designed and laid down you certainly have WW1 vintage, and in a couple of case pre-WW1. Old ladies, beautiful ships in their day, but really, I would not like to flight a pitch fleet battle again modern battleships in one of these old girls. )))
Dominic Righini-Brand
dfrighini@me.com
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Oberwarrior:

Follow this link about the book. I buy it in this worthless place, Trinidad & Tobago, so it´s likely that you could buy it in Russia or via amazon:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/woods/woods30.html

It is a good lecture in these times in which the Obama and liberal agenda will try to re write history in order to point their perversed ways...

Best regards,

Karl
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
dfrighini

Post by dfrighini »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:Oberwarrior:

Follow this link about the book. I buy it in this worthless place, Trinidad & Tobago, so it´s likely that you could buy it in Russia or via amazon:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/woods/woods30.html

It is a good lecture in these times in which the Obama and liberal agenda will try to re write history in order to point their perversed ways...

Best regards,

Karl
Thanks for the link, have just read the blurb, sounds interesting and certainly something I'll consider ordering. Yes we can get amazon here in Russia providing the order in no more than 100 US dollar, don't ask, customs! Thanks again. )))
Dominic Righini-Brand
dfrighini@me.com
dfrighini

Post by dfrighini »

Just a quick afterthought, the US were conducted and were conducting their Fleet Program XXI (1940) & Fleet Program XXII (1941) in preparation for war.

'When in peace plan for war'
Dominic Righini-Brand
dfrighini@me.com
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Vegetius? The romans were the ones, no one like them.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Oberwarrior, you should also list the rest of the USN BB fleet. That would show that the fleet at Pearl was no more obsolete than the rest, as many people seems to believe. Yes, they were not new, but the Japanese blow deleted half the BB fleet for a while.
RF

Post by RF »

Karl Heidenreich wrote: ......this worthless place, Trinidad & Tobago,
Trinidad is not so worthless for its oil or its strategic position....
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Post by RF »

marcelo_malara wrote: That would show that the fleet at Pearl was no more obsolete than the rest, as many people seems to believe. Yes, they were not new, but the Japanese blow deleted half the BB fleet for a while.
But not the carriers, and it turned out that was what really mattered.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
dfrighini

Post by dfrighini »

marcelo_malara wrote:Oberwarrior, you should also list the rest of the USN BB fleet. That would show that the fleet at Pearl was no more obsolete than the rest, as many people seems to believe. Yes, they were not new, but the Japanese blow deleted half the BB fleet for a while.
As requested I have listed basic statistics for other US battleships...

1) Iowa Class (4 ships), 31 kts design speed (33/35 kts theoretical max), commissioned 1942 onwards, 9 x 16 inch guns.
2) South Dakota Class (4 ships), 27 kts, commissioned early 1942 onwards, 9 x 16 inch.
3) North Carolina Class (2 ships), 26 kts, commissioned 1941, 9 x 16 inch. (considered first modern US battleships after twenty year building gap)

However I feel this somewhat reinforces my point, these three classes of battleship were modern, this being reflected in there design. They certainly could hold there own again foreign contemporary designs, i.e Bismarck, Richelieu, KG5 (America's interwar planning consider the theoretical scenario of fighting a naval war with Britain, although highly unlikely) etc.

The point I am trying to make is the battleships present at Pearl Harbor were vintage, being designed and laid down before or during the First World War. Post World War One battleship design changed, for example (despite her many floors) Hood could be describe as one of the first modern battleships (personally I consider her as a fast light battleship). Come World War 2 to this idea of great fleets of battleships lined up and slugging it out against their opposite numbers was old hat, battleships had a new role, developed during World War 2, but already planned during the 1930s. These battleships sitting in Pearl on the morning of the attack were good old fashioned, slow bruisers, designed to battle it out sitting in a main battle line.

The most important point here comes from the American Vice Admiral William Halsey, Jr. who did not take the battleships along with his carrier group because they were to slow. In the Pacific battleships needed to be able to keep up with the fast carrier groups. This was considered the standard doctrine before the war, the tactics used by both the Americans and the Japanese in the Pacific theater were already defined, hence building carriers during the interwar period.

I don't think it came as a great surprise to many intelligent people how successful aircraft carriers were, the only people who were surprised were fairly conservative old fashioned types. The battleship had already been proven the weak link during the First World War. Some countries, did remain stuck in the past, Germany for one would have been better off building a u-boat fleet during the 1930s. Likewise the Royal Navy because of various reasons did not seem to truly accept the carriers new role, despite being instrumental in developing carriers, the Royal Navy & Royal Air Forced did not full work together until latter in World War 2. Why were British carriers equipped with Fairy Swordfish bombers early in the war?

Getting back to the main subject, the Americans new there was a war coming, and they certainly were not against the idea, let us not forget war equals big money. FDR spoke famous words after the Japanese attack 'this is a day which will live in infamy', had the Japanese attack been foiled or had the terrorist hijacking the planes to slam into the World Trade Center been arrested at the airport where would the 'infamy' be? Where would the reason to have a large scale protracted war effect be? It was World War 2 and the arms industry which ended the Great Depression in America, war creates jobs. However the real criminals are not really the governments, but the companies and banks who bankroll them. Companies invested heavily in both sides during World War 2, both Axis & Allies, that way they were always going to be on the winning side. In the democratic system you need to have a reason to go to war, Pearl Harbor and the WDC were reason, but did the government help to engineer that reason, creating what Karl mentioned, the Clauswitz effect, popular support from the people. George Orwell in his book 1984 defined war and total war very well, victory or defeat is not important, whats important is the war effort should be continuous, keeping the people on the edge.

So, the end of a few old battleships, slow and unable to keep up with the carrier task forces, at Pearl provided the reason for America to have a war with Japan. Although its not a nice thing to say, and not really respectful of peoples lives, these old hulks were worth more sitting on the bottom of the harbor when you consider the American economy.

When you study Japanese American relationships during the interwar period you'll discover the writing was already on the wall, both countries were building for a war, war was only a matter of time, a question of not 'if' but 'when'. I certainly don't see the US government during this period actively seeking 'peace in our time'? So it does not require a huge amount of imagination to consider how they manipulated the event prior and post the attack on Pearl.

Poor old veteran US battleships (hulks), sitting on the bottom of the harbor, sadly that's the price you have to pay for the illusion of democracy.

Kind regards and sweet dreams
Dominic Righini-Brand
dfrighini@me.com
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

My point is that the USN had 15 BBs available in Dec 1941, plus two recently commissioned or about to. Why loose half the fleet? Which would have been the difference if the BBs had gone to sea? The attack on an empty harbour wouldn´t have been enough to go to war? Moreover, as somebody said in this very forum, if the US knew that Japan would eventually declare war, what would they do? Surrender to the Japanese instead of fighting?

Regards
dfrighini

Post by dfrighini »

marcelo_malara wrote:My point is that the USN had 15 BBs available in Dec 1941, plus two recently commissioned or about to. Why loose half the fleet? Which would have been the difference if the BBs had gone to sea? The attack on an empty harbour wouldn´t have been enough to go to war? Moreover, as somebody said in this very forum, if the US knew that Japan would eventually declare war, what would they do? Surrender to the Japanese instead of fighting?

Regards
Certainly losing half the fleet is not a good idea, but what use where these ships anyway? They were to slow to operate with the carriers, this was part of the reasoning in building the Iowa Class fast battleships. Where these ships in Pearl of real importance? It seems America handled herself well during the Pacific war following the apparent initial surprise. Personal I would not advocate rolling over and surrendering post the Japanese attack, but America still needed a big reason to get involved in the war, including again Germany, many people in America at this time were against going to war. )))
Dominic Righini-Brand
dfrighini@me.com
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Sorry, but loosing a worthless machine in battle doesn´t imply that it was lost on purpose. Use they eventually had, as they were worth the repair work. I don´t either see how so big a conspiracy could go on. How did they make sure that the radar wouldn´t rise an alarm with so many contacts on screen?
I think that the Lusitania is a better case, but one that I don´t believe either. Without the sinking, it may have taken longer for the US to enter war. But the Pearl conspiracy is IMHO pure fantasy. The attack on the Philippines wouldn´t be a cause to go to war?

Regards