Your Favourite Warship of World War II

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
lwd

Re: Your Favourite Warship of World War II

Post by lwd »

How much of that was turret design and how much of it was ammo design?
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

alecsandros wrote:to Steve:
However, for BB designs of the war, the German double turret design proved to have the fastest reload cycle.
I don't doubt that at all. I just question whether it was because it was a twin turret. For example, the three gun turrets on S&G were capable of firing faster than the twins on Bismarck.

I concede that if you wait for three guns to be loaded it will usually take longer than two guns because of the slightly different speeds of each crew from one round to the next. For the same reason a one gun turret will be faster than one with two guns, assuming all guns need to fire together. However, I don't think there is a big enough difference to matter, especially since most of the time you fire after a previous salvo's fall of shot and adjustment of same. This is true expecially at any range longer than twice the salvo interval plus fire control correction time, which is probably ten seconds or more. This allows for one salvo in the air at all times while the previous salvo is being corrected. Almost all WWII battleships were designed to achieve 2 rounds per gun per minute and most could achieve that.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

lwd wrote:How much of that was turret design and how much of it was ammo design?
I think it was a combination of breech design and the powder being mostly in brass casings. The twin turret did facilitate both guns being loaded together, although it also made it less safe, which I believe was a British criticism.

The Germans used brass powder cases for naval 6" guns and above. The USN used them in the 6"/47 guns and the 8"/55 in the Des Moines class.

When the British studied the Baden they found that the German loading cycle was simpler than theirs and a British crew was able to load the German 15" guns significantly faster than the British 15" could be loaded.

My question is whether this increased speed made much of a difference in combat. Everyone else seemed to think that 2 rounds per minute was fast enough at the time. I do concede that if you think your shells are going to straddle, then firing very fast is good.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Lee:
Not really. It's all about efficient use of what tonnage you have. If you save some weight in one place you can use it in another. This holds no matter whether there's a treaty restriction or not. What the treaty restriction did do was focus more attention on such matters.
Who are you: Bgile's spokesma?. Anyway you are just defending the punny small battleships produced under the Treaty, mediocre at best.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
lwd

Post by lwd »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:Lee:
Not really. It's all about efficient use of what tonnage you have. If you save some weight in one place you can use it in another. This holds no matter whether there's a treaty restriction or not. What the treaty restriction did do was focus more attention on such matters.
Who are you: Bgile's spokesma?.
If you wish a private conversation take it to pm or email.
Anyway you are just defending the punny small battleships produced under the Treaty, mediocre at best.
Amazing how many things you can get wrong in one short sentence.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Lee:
Amazing how many things you can get wrong in one short sentence.
I think you, yourselve, are quite use to it, isn't it?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
dirk222

Post by dirk222 »

Not one but two warships they are the Almighty IJN Yamato

and the Legendary USS ENTERPRISE
"If I'm going down I'm taking somebody with me."
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Dreadnought ; professionals built the Yamato."
RF

Post by RF »

But not as famous as the one commanded by James T Kirk or Jean Luc Picard.......
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.