Wreck of the Scharnhorst

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
celticmarine10

Wreck of the Scharnhorst

Post by celticmarine10 »

Hi everyone!
I'm looking for information on the Wreck of Scharnhorst. I know that she was discovered upside down, in two pieces and severely damaged, but beyond that, I haven't been able to find any information. :( Can anyone help me out? Does anyone know if there were any expeditions to her, apart from the Norwegian's initial confirmation of the wreck?
Thanks so much!
"Permission to Fire!" - Kapitan Lindemann
Antonio Bonomi

Re: Wreck of the Scharnhorst

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao all,

@ Celticmarine,

The expedition by Norwegian Navy to find the Scharnhorst wreck was lead by the Norwegian Journalist and writer Alf. R. Jacobsen, a very good person which wrote a book on Scharnhorst last battle ( highly recommended ) and on Tirpitz too.

They found the wreck based on some norwegian fisherman infos, and filmed it too ( the movie is in the end of the Norwegian Navy ).

As far as I know no one else yet went down there after them, no other expeditions.

The wreck is updside down and without the bow part which was separated by the explosion of A turret barbette that caused the fast sinking process of the ship.

Bye Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
RF

Post by RF »

Has there been any attempt to find the wreck of the earlier Scharnhorst that was sunk in 1914?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

I believe the wrecks of both SMS Scharnhorst and SMS Gneisenau have been found. Scharnhorst is at 52* 28' S, 56* 14'W. Her sister is at 52* 34'S, 56* 23'W. Both vessels are at a depth of about 500 fathoms.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Glasisch
Location: Bytom/Poland (former German Beuthen O/S- Upper Silesia)

Post by Glasisch »

Antonio Bonomi wrote:Ciao all,

@ Celticmarine,

The expedition by Norwegian Navy to find the Scharnhorst wreck was lead by the Norwegian Journalist and writer Alf. R. Jacobsen, a very good person which wrote a book on Scharnhorst last battle ( highly recommended ) and on Tirpitz too.

They found the wreck based on some norwegian fisherman infos, and filmed it too ( the movie is in the end of the Norwegian Navy ).

As far as I know no one else yet went down there after them, no other expeditions.

The wreck is updside down and without the bow part which was separated by the explosion of A turret barbette that caused the fast sinking process of the ship.

Bye Antonio :D
Hello Antonio and the others,
I`m new here and I will You all greet here.
Jacobsen`s book is probably the best book about "Scharnhorst". I1ve read it in German. Admiral Fraser`s position was incorrect
Attachments
Jacobsen - Scharnhorst.jpg
Jacobsen - Scharnhorst.jpg (36.11 KiB) Viewed 15229 times
„Ruhe in den Telefonen. Denkt daran, daß auch in England auf jeden Mann eine Mutter wartet!“ KzS Helmuth Brinkmann Kommandant der „Prinz Eugen“ in der Dänemarkstrasse am 24. Mai 1941, nachdem die „Hood” kurz davor explodiert worden war".
RF

Post by RF »

Is there an English language version of this book?
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
RF

Post by RF »

Thanks!
celticmarine10

Post by celticmarine10 »

Going to order it. Thanks!
"Permission to Fire!" - Kapitan Lindemann
Glasisch
Location: Bytom/Poland (former German Beuthen O/S- Upper Silesia)

Post by Glasisch »

celticmarine10 wrote:Going to order it. Thanks!
Hello,

Your decision is right, because the link is just a small taste :D
„Ruhe in den Telefonen. Denkt daran, daß auch in England auf jeden Mann eine Mutter wartet!“ KzS Helmuth Brinkmann Kommandant der „Prinz Eugen“ in der Dänemarkstrasse am 24. Mai 1941, nachdem die „Hood” kurz davor explodiert worden war".
Steve Wiper

Post by Steve Wiper »

Hi guys,

Someone asked if there were photos of the wreck of the SCHARNHORST. I have not found any good ones. I do have a VHS tape of the Norwegian broadcast of the finding of SCHARNHORST and the filming of the wreck was not as good as we may have wished it to be, at least the footage used in the program. I can tell you much more footage never gets used than what makes it into a documentary like that one. Sad.

The wreck is a mess. Stern broken off aft of the rudders, main hull 180 and top down (capsized) on the sea floor, a fair amount of wreckage, the entire forward portion of the warship is blown off somewhere about B turret. One of the last views of the wreck is of the forefoot of the bow, so it is there with the wreck. Lots of fishing net and lines entangled on the wreck. Did not see any signs of camo painting, but there was a lot silt in the water and the cameras used on the ROV were not the best, not to mention the fact that I have a copy of a copy and it is VHS !

Steve Wiper