Scharnhorst questions

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
rtwpsom2

Scharnhorst questions

Post by rtwpsom2 »

Does anyone know when Scharnhorst's portside aft 150mm guns were removed from their turret? Did they stay that way for long? Were they re-installed by the time she sank?
RF

Re: Scharnhorst questions

Post by RF »

I was not aware they were removed. What is the info source for this?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
rtwpsom2

Post by rtwpsom2 »

Just an image I found on the net. I thought it was from webshots, but now I can't find them again or I would link to it.
rtwpsom2

Post by rtwpsom2 »

Well, I can't find it again, so I will post it myself, but if anyone else can find a link, let me know, because I don't like stealing others thunder.
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao all,

both the 150 mm camouflage scheme as well as the A/A cupola mimetic shows we are talking Scharnhorst during February 1942 and Op. Cerberus timeframe.

Adm Erich Raeder is inspecting the ship with Kpt zure See Hoffmann and Adm Schniewind, so to be more precise we are talking the 14 February 1942 into the Wilhelmshaven floating drydock AFTER the Op. Cerberus completion, and the Scharnhorst still wears the Op. Cerberus camouflage scheme.

The Scharhorst 150 mm guns were probably removed for some maintenance works.

Othe photos do exist of this event.

The same day after the Gross Admiral inspection the ship was trasfered to Kiel thru the KW Kanal.

Ciao Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
rtwpsom2

Post by rtwpsom2 »

Thanks again, Antonio. This was very precise!!
rtwpsom2

Post by rtwpsom2 »

For the record, the image above was from this website: http://forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/index. ... 15.30.html. Let it not be said I do not give credit where it is due. Other pictures of the event which Antonio described are also available. Look through the rest of the thread for a ton of great photos.