What ship would you have visited?

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
Nellie

What ship would you have visited?

Post by Nellie »

Of all the ships who served during WWII, wich of them would you have visited in first place if they had been preserved? Personally i had first went onboard a Nelson class followed by battlecruiser Renown and maybe Warspite, then i have covered the early battlecruiser and battleship era to the time of washington treaty limitations and Nelsons very special design wich i find very interesting. For the modern battleships built during the 1940s i am not looking for someone special, an Iowa would be OK.

Interesting link wich i agree with!

http://www.warshipsifr.com/shipsTheySho ... Saved.html
Gary

Post by Gary »

Without a doubt, HMS Warspite
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

This include ships that were sunk or only those that survived the war?

If it not include those that were sunk during the war then Warspite or KGV.

If it include those sunk then, of course, Bismarck.

Best regards.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
paul mercer

Post by paul mercer »

Definitely Warspite, it's a great shame ehe was not preserved as she probably had more action history then any other Battleship.
Would also have liked to see Bismarck, Scharnhorst, Rodney & KGV + an Iowa.
Many years ago (in the early 70's I think) an Iowa class visited Portsmouth and was allowing sightseers on board, I'm still kicking myself for not going!
Still, one day if I visit the US.
Antonio Bonomi

Ships to be .. onboard .. in dreams

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao all,

well my avatar speacks for itself,..my ' Lovely Queen ' Tirpitz will be my first selection for sure,.... no doubts.

Than many others,.. Bismarck, Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Graf Spee and Prinz Eugen, Atlantis, Pinguin, U-99 for KM ,...on top of the others,....

... on Royal Navy ,..Hood, PoW, DoY, Rodney, Norfolk, Sheffield, Acasta, Ardent, Savage, Cossak, X-5, .....

..Norwegian ships ...Arthur, Stord....

..on Regia Marina,.. the Roma, and the sub Scire',...

.. just some thoughts,..but I love many other ships too....

.. but I have already the advantage of been really on board of a WW2 Aircraft Carrier USS Yorktown in Charleston ( South Carolina ) and on board of a real battleship like USS North Carolina in Wilmington ( North Carolina ) on 1988....... plus the U-boote in Laboe ( Kiel-Germany ) and in Chicago.

... soon I will be visiting the HMS Belfast in London,...... and the HMS Victory in Portsmouth......

Ciao Antonio :D
iankw

Post by iankw »

Hi Antonio

I don't know if you know about this site but, assuming you don't, you could take a small trip around HMS Belfast now by visiting:

http://www.hmsbelfasttours.org.uk/start2.htm

My wife and I visited HMS Belfast on our honeymoon (very understanding was my wife), and there was nowhere near as much of the ship open as there is now. I must pay a return visit sometime.

Ian
Antonio Bonomi

Thanks !

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Iankw and all,

many thanks :clap: :clap:

..... I did not know about it, so now I can study it before coming to London for the visit.

YES, you wife was really understanding you quite nicely... :D

When I will come maybe I can contact you so you can come with me if you like it to and the timeframe fits your plans,... maybe it will be August this year,...I have to plan it a bit more accurately.

.. but than I want to go visiting IWM, the RAF museum,...and many other places too.... much to see in London.....

iankw

Post by iankw »

Hi Antonio

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. If you are coming in August I might just take the opportunity to meet with you - it's something I need to think about. August 20th would have been our 24th wedding anniversary, and the 21st (1983) saw us boarding a train to London for our honeymoon. I'm not sure I'm up to that yet but I will think about it. It would be good to put a face to a name. Keep in touch.

Ian
Antonio Bonomi

London visit

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Iankw and all,

YES, we can try to get in touch my friend,.. lets keep in touch about it as things develop further more.

Have a nice week end.

Lutscha

Post by Lutscha »

Yamato of course.
RF

Post by RF »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:This include ships that were sunk or only those that survived the war?

If it include those sunk then, of course, Bismarck.

Best regards.
There would have been my choice, Prinz Eugen, which of course survived the war and was very similar in appearance to Bismarck.

I would also want to visit some of the Hilfskreuzer, just see how these curious vessels worked, probably Thor, Kormoran, Michel.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
iankw

Post by iankw »

Iron Duke for me. The sense of history looking out of those bridge windows would be overwhelming, imo.

Ian
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Iankw.

Sorry to disagree but I'd find HMS Lion much more historically intriguing than Iron Duke.
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
Laurenz

RF

Post by Laurenz »

is right. We all like (love) the sea.
So the writing here shows our longing for adventure and overseas.
So a ship with such a history as Emden would have been fine for everybody beside any waraction.
:-)
Kind regrads,
L.
Coyote850

Post by Coyote850 »

This is a difficult one to pick. But I would have to pick the USS Enterprise. She saved our butts in soooooo many battles.
Others I would like to visit:

Yamato
Akagi
Hood
Bismarck