Gneisenau Stack Shape

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
seaphoto

Gneisenau Stack Shape

Post by seaphoto »

Hello,

I am in the process of building a 1/100 scale model of the Gneisenau, but have been having problems puzzling out the shape of the stack, particularly where it transitions into the base.

The model kits I have seen don't match up with photos of the real ships in the areas that are visible, and the original plans are obscured in this area by items carried on either side of the stack and base. Does anyone know of a good drawing for this area, or clear pictures - perhaps while the ship is being built - of this area?

I have just about every German and English language reference for the Scharnhorst class, as well as a French magazine, and a couple of the Japanese ships of the world issues. Maybe 2 dozen in all, and none show this area clearly. The museum model that I have photos of (in the Munich Museum) I believe to be inaccurate in this area, as it too does not match up with the limited amount of photos I have found. There is one good shot on the US Naval History Center page looking down at the base, but beyond that I’m in the dark. This model is going to take a long time to build, and I would like to make it as accurate as possible. Thanks for any help.
Antonio Bonomi

Gneisenau

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao all,

by stack you mean the funnel.

Let me know what you need, and I will help you on making your model of Gneisenau.

Which version, which period ?

Ciao Antonio :D
seaphoto

Post by seaphoto »

Hello,

Thank you very much for you offer to help - I appreciate it a lot.

I am building the Gneisenau as she appeared during "Operation Berlin" in early 1941.

If you would like to see what I have done so far, here is a gallery for the build:

http://wmunderway.8m.com/gallery47/gallery47.htm

I have corrected the superstructure mistakes since the last photos were taken.

Kurt
Antonio Bonomi

Gneisenau

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Kurt and all,

OK, a very nice job so far, congratulations :clap:

Ok, now I know what to look for and I will help you on making Gneisenau as perfect as it can be, trust me.

Gneisenau during Operation Berlin, early 1941.

Did you already finished the hull, especially the bow ?

Gneisenau rebuilt bow was a lot different than Scharnhorst for example.

Than a lot of differences on the main deck as well, later we will move on the upperworks.

I just sent you an e-mail, so we can get in closer touch.

Tak to you soon.

Ciao Antonio :D