Photo Etched - how to?

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
Bluemill

Photo Etched - how to?

Post by Bluemill »

I have started the Dragon Bismarck premium edition, and it appears to be the most accurate I have ever built, and my first was in 1962 with the first by Aurora. The previous most accurate was the Tamiya 1:350, although I have not done the Trumpeter.

My problem is that I have never done photo etched. The detail is incredible, but with some of the pieces, how the HeXX do you attach them without destroying them or mount them in a glob of glue, - that doesn't do much for realism?

1:700 rails are so tiny, how do you anchor or attach them? There has to be some tricks for this with some of the work I've seen on the Steel Navy site.

Any direction would be appreciated!

Best,
Bluemill
"Bismarck, massive and elegant, with the high flare of her bows and majestic sweep of her lines, her ease and arrogance in the water, was then the most graceful, most powerful warship yet built."
-Ludovic Kennedy in his book: Pursuit
The_Ships_Cat

Re: Photo Etched - how to?

Post by The_Ships_Cat »

Hi.
For my photo etch I use PVA or EVA (similar to PVA but imho stronger). For rails run a strip of the glue along where you need with a cocktail stick then if you have to gently scrape off excess glue, though with these types of glue it usually dries clear anyway.
hope this helps,
"We stand tall on the quarterdeck, son.
All of us."