Scharnhorst Colours & Squares

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
Antonio Bonomi

Bergen and more

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Terje and all,

YES, I knew that, it is a very beautiful city, I want to come back one day.

Now on the J camo scheme 2 tone grey, RAL 700 and 7001, and red turret tops but also bow and stern with a darker grey, later removed when she was torpedoed, there is a clear photo showing Gneisenau in Trondheim with that scheme on her.
This scheme shortening the hull ( both bow and stern ) with a darker grey was later used on Tirpitz, Prinz Eugen and Admiral Scheer as well during an Operation called Sportpalast on Febraury 1942.
Gneisenau had it on her first, on 1940 ( see a photo on my plan of 1940 under the month of May ).

In fact your colour photo with the lighthouse shows Gneisenau just torpedoed with a big hole in the bow, with some dark area on the bow under the forward turrets ( probable torpedo explosion effect ) but without the J camo scheme, that was applyied, and later removed.

Yes, the island I was referring is exactly the one you are talking about my friend, good to know more, thanks .. I love history,... :wink:

I can fill up you e-mail reader with Gneisenau stuffs, as I was ready to post her story exactly as I did for Scharnhorst.

If you want I can send you all her drawings and camo schemes, lots of photos and more,..including a very nice invented camo-drawing done in cooperation with a young good boy, named Vlad :clap: , ... that shows her,... after a potential refit on 1946 :shock: .

Keep in touch separately :wink: .

Ciao Antonio :D
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

Hello.

First, lot of thanks for the Gneisenau-stuff. These were above all my wildest expectations. Like a delayed christmas-present! WOW! Thanks. Recently, I ordered Koop and Schmolke's "Sharnhorst-class" and from earlier also bought Garzke and Dulin's "Battleships" in order to obtain some knowledge of the Gneisenau. With your KM-plans on top of this, I simply have to become an experienced "Gneisenthusiast"

I've seen your 1946-drawings of the Gneisenau, one with a Husar-kind of scheme and another like the Rosselsprung-scheme, if I'm not mistaking. I was checking out the forum at marinearchiv.de recently and thus came across your posts upon the Gneisenau. They were quite nice camo's and I simply loved to see the ship in the Husar scheme of yours. It's a perfect match! Amongst the KM ships, the Gneisenau holds the majority in my collection of images. A lot of pics, several from her launch, the Atlantic cruise, her operations and forward to the fatal bomb raid. I don't want to see her as a blockade ship, a sad final for such a fine ship, and therefore left out the images from Gotenhafen. With the highly valuable plans of yours, I can now better identify the time when each picture was taken as I would like to set a date and hopefully a location as well on the images.

As a very modest thanks, I can send you some KM images as well as a few maps and some other stuff I have lying on my computer. Perhaps some could be useful to you? I've also got some RN and HSF images if that could be interesting. Just let me know...

Very best regards
Antonio Bonomi

Gneisenau

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Terje and all,

my pleasure to have helped a new coming "Gneisenthusiast" ... I love this definition, .... maybe I have to define myself a " Tirpitzhusiast "..... in the future .... :wink:

Koop-Schmolke as well as Garzke-Dulin are must to have books ! ... for any ship lover, ... real milestones references and we are very lucky that Bill Garzke Jr writes also here in,... a great real competence available for us all in real time,.... :clap: :clap: :clap:

YES, those drawings were a ' creation' I was dreaming to realize, and that young fellow of Vlad made it possible with his PC graphic competence, ... a very nice gift from him,.. now I know he is also making a model,... and knowing how good he his on that,..it will be superb :wink: ... just take a look, ....

http://www.shipmodels.info/mwphpBB2/vie ... ht=#117071

I understand your reluctancy to look at Gneisenau wreck photos, yes she had a very sad destiny, you know that sailors are superstitious, so she started having bad luck form the very beginning, from the launch as you surely know :( .

Thanks for everyting from your side as well.

Ciao Antonio :D