"Other" Nations' Activities

From the battle of Lepanto to the mid-19th century.
AThompson

"Other" Nations' Activities

Post by AThompson »

Hi, all.

Now I appreciate this is a very open question.

When you read about the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars you mainly get the account of the British Royal, French, Spanish navies, with the Dutch and Americans also taking stage at some point.

However, one thing I've wondered is, what about everyone else?

Now, I'm not overly fond of the idea of lumping every nation on the Earth into the rather derogatory term of "other" nations, so my apologies, that's not my intent. I'm British so most of the writings I have access to is rather British-focused and mainly consists of us broadsiding everyone we meet on the oceans.

What were Naples up to, or Belgium, The German States, Denmark (though I know about that rather unpleasantness in Copenhagen) Sweden, Russia, Portugal, anyone from the South Americas? Surely these nations had navies too?

Every nation that has a coast surely had navies of various sizes. The Revolutionary and Napoleonic drew in most of the planet into conflict, so what was everyone up to?
I will ask all the questions on all things floaty.
marcelo_malara

Re: "Other" Nations' Activities

Post by marcelo_malara »

AThompson wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:30 am Hi, all.

Now I appreciate this is a very open question.

When you read about the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars you mainly get the account of the British Royal, French, Spanish navies, with the Dutch and Americans also taking stage at some point.

However, one thing I've wondered is, what about everyone else?

Now, I'm not overly fond of the idea of lumping every nation on the Earth into the rather derogatory term of "other" nations, so my apologies, that's not my intent. I'm British so most of the writings I have access to is rather British-focused and mainly consists of us broadsiding everyone we meet on the oceans.

What were Naples up to, or Belgium, The German States, Denmark (though I know about that rather unpleasantness in Copenhagen) Sweden, Russia, Portugal, anyone from the South Americas? Surely these nations had navies too?

Every nation that has a coast surely had navies of various sizes. The Revolutionary and Napoleonic drew in most of the planet into conflict, so what was everyone up to?
I can speak for the Argentine navy. After the Revolution of 1810 that ousted the Spanish ruling the Argentine navy was created from scratch. Its commander in chief was the Irish William Brown, a trader, who was tasked with the formation and command of the navy. Some merchants were converted to man-of-war, and he fought the Spanish navy based in todays Uruguay. After the Napoleonic wars and continuing the war of independence against Spain, Brown supported general San Martin´s amphibious campaign in Peru, that ended the presence of Spain in South America.

Regards
AThompson

Post by AThompson »

Well I never knew that. Thank you for sharing.

I can imagine the conversation. "You're a merchant, right? You know about floaty things and the ocean and stuff? Great! You're now the High Sea Lord and we need a navy."
I will ask all the questions on all things floaty.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

AThompson wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:54 pm Well I never knew that. Thank you for sharing.

I can imagine the conversation. "You're a merchant, right? You know about floaty things and the ocean and stuff? Great! You're now the High Sea Lord and we need a navy."
Yes, as surprising as it may sound it was actually so. And he did quiet well against the professional Spanish navy. He is even honored in his native country.

Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

The Venetians were allied with France - see Battle of Lissa 1811.

The Neapolitans were close to the British. I don’t know offhand of any engagements in which they participated.

Portugal had a small navy and was closely allied to Great Britain. Lisbon served as an important base for the British.

The Russian navy fought both the Swedes and the British in the Baltic Sea. Also fought the Turks in the Black Sea.

The Danish seagoing navy was pretty much lost at Copenhagen, but their gunboats and light coastal squadrons proved to be a great headache for the British in the coastal waters surrounding Denmark.

Belgium did not exist until after the Napoleonic Wars.

The Barbary Pirates indiscriminately preyed on everyone.

Byron