Spanish artillery in the age of sail

From the battle of Lepanto to the mid-19th century.
marcelo_malara

Spanish artillery in the age of sail

Post by marcelo_malara »

Byron and all.

Regarding the use of flintlock firing of Spanish guns in the age of sail, I have some doubts that this was in use. In Buenos Aires we have many old cannons in museums and displays, most of them left overs from the time of the Spanish ruling, and have seen none that one could say was adapted to flintlock. The only one I know that could have had this mechanism, is a coastal muzzle loader, but of British manufacture and from mid XIX century.

About books of the Spanish navy in the age of sail, to the one you already have about the ships of the armada, you can add this one.

La artillería naval española en el siglo XVIII

https://www.amazon.es/artiller%C3%ADa-n ... 8497815912

Regrettably, it is out of stock everywhere I look, and the price of a second hand specimen climbs to an outrageous 190 euros!
Byron Angel

Re: Spanish artillery in the age of sail

Post by Byron Angel »

Hi Marcelo,
I have been trolling the web for info on Spanish 18thC naval artillery. Found more than I expected. No comprehensive “smoking gun” evidence yet. Came upon one comment that gunlocks required a special mounting pad on the gun tube and so could not be fitted to older Spanish guns, but I am not sure I buy that claim; Douglas seems to have found a way to mount them on older British guns back in the 1780s and the British literature seems silent re any modifications made to gun tubes for mounting gunlocks.

My next stop is Boudriot. He discussed gunlocks in French service and the Spanish bought a fair amount of ordnance from France.

B
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Byron Angel wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:40 pm Hi Marcelo,
I have been trolling the web for info on Spanish 18thC naval artillery. Found more than I expected. No comprehensive “smoking gun” evidence yet. Came upon one comment that gunlocks required a special mounting pad on the gun tube and so could not be fitted to older Spanish guns, but I am not sure I buy that claim; Douglas seems to have found a way to mount them on older British guns back in the 1780s and the British literature seems silent re any modifications made to gun tubes for mounting gunlocks.

My next stop is Boudriot. He discussed gunlocks in French service and the Spanish bought a fair amount of ordnance from France.

B
Hi Byron. I have this book, which I recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/Arming-Fleet-U-S ... 0870210076

Page 32, about Douglas:

"...fitted out her guns with musket locks attached to pieces of wood and strapped with iron wire to the left side of the vents."

This was as a measure of trial in HMS Duke. (98). Then the author says that the RN adopted it officially in 1790, with a new lock made of bronze, and France in 1800, but that the match was still in use by the French at Trafalgar.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Byron Angel wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:40 pm and the British literature seems silent re any modifications made to gun tubes for mounting gunlocks.
Forgot this one. Cast iron cannons were not commonly modified once built. There is a strong reason for it. Cast iron is delicate in the sense that it has not plastic deformation, this needs a little explanation. If you apply a force to a materiel, it will deform, the higher the force the greater the deformation, but once the force is stopped the materiel will return to its initial form. This is called elastic deformation. There is a point that the force is so high that once stopped the materiel will remains deformed, this is the plastic deformation. And is the force is greater yet the materiel will break.

Cast iron will pass from elastic deformation to rupture once the elastic limit is exceeded. Beyond this, any modification to the tube will weaken it and make it prone to explosion. Even the proving marks were done in the face of the muzzle, where they will affect less the resistance of the tube to the pressure of the firing.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

marcelo_malara wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:45 pm
Byron Angel wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:40 pm and the British literature seems silent re any modifications made to gun tubes for mounting gunlocks.
Forgot this one. Cast iron cannons were not commonly modified once built. There is a strong reason for it. Cast iron is delicate in the sense that it has not plastic deformation, this needs a little explanation. If you apply a force to a materiel, it will deform, the higher the force the greater the deformation, but once the force is stopped the materiel will return to its initial form. This is called elastic deformation. There is a point that the force is so high that once stopped the materiel will remains deformed, this is the plastic deformation. And is the force is greater yet the materiel will break.

Cast iron will pass from elastic deformation to rupture once the elastic limit is exceeded. Beyond this, any modification to the tube will weaken it and make it prone to explosion. Even the proving marks were done in the face of the muzzle, where they will affect less the resistance of the tube to the pressure of the firing.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

marcelo_malara wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:45 pm

Hi Marcelo,
Thanks for the book recommendation; I will definitely look into it. I remember seeing it long ago, but ignoring it because I was so fixated upon European navies of the AoS at the time.

Sorry about my imprecision of language; by "modification" I meant revising the design of cannons to be cast in the future. Of course, it seems that gun-locks were adapted to existing guns by means of wooden mounting blocks carved to fit in the appropriate place near the vent.

Re Boudriot's commentary on gun-locks in French service, here is what he wrote in "The 74 Gun Ship", Volume IV, page 132. Please note that he specifically describes the French 74 as of the year 1780.

"In accordance with Regulations, 24 of the guns on our 74 are fitted with gun-locks mounted on blocks of wood.As a rule, the locks used are heavy musket locks from land-service muskets, fitted to the block in the same way as they would be to the musket stock, with a tube of tin-plate leading from the pan to come out next to the vent. The wooden mounting-block is held in place by straps which pass round the breech of the gun. A sort of trigger is operated by a lanyard coming out of the back of the block.

<snip>

As explained in the main body of the text, a certain number of the guns aboard our 74 are fitted with gun-locks mounted upon blocks of wood. A piece of fir is shaped to the profile of the breech of the gun so that it fits comfortably over it to the right of the vent; two straps of heavy canvas pass round the breech, and hold the block in place. A heavy firing-lock from a land-service musket is fastened to the block in the same way as it would be fitted to a musket, and a tube of tin-plate leads from the firing pan through the block of wood and across towards the vent.

The lock is not fired by a finger-trigger, but by a laniard (sic) which passes through a hole cut in the after edge of the mounting-block; the method of operation of a flintlock will be familiar to you, so I will not describe it again, but it will be appreciated that the detonation of the priming-powder in the pan is communicated to the priming of the gun via the tin tube.

The use of gun-locks provides a more reliable and more rapid method of detonating the charge, but some officers are critical of their fragility, the amount of room they take up, the fact that they interfere with the laying of the gun, and cause difficulties in priming and in keeping the priming dry; it is true however that the use of firing tubes (see Vol II, p 173) simplifies or indeed resolves these latter difficulties. Furthermore, the locks can get caught in people's clothing or be damaged by hand-crows or handspikes, sleeves, etc. while the gun is being handled, the damp causes problems in their operation, the flints sometimes break, and in general the linstock is preferred to the gun-lock."

- - -

Re Douglas - He indeed equipped the guns of his ship HMS Duke with gun-locks (at his own personal expense BTW), but he also modified his ship's gunports and training tackle to approximately double the fire arcs of his guns. But he was generally considered rather a maverick within the service and few if any captains emulated his efforts. However, after a very lengthy effort, he managed to persuade Rodney to have the guns of his flagship HMS Formidable similarly modified. To the best of my knowledge, these were the only two ships in the British fleet at the Saintes so outfitted. Gunlocks (to the best of my knowledge) did not become commonplace in the RN until after the War of the French Revolution.

Byron
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Byron Angel wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:14 pm

Hi Marcelo,
Thanks for the book recommendation; I will definitely look into it. I remember seeing it long ago, but ignoring it because I was so fixated upon European navies of the AoS at the time.

Sorry about my imprecision of language; by "modification" I meant revising the design of cannons to be cast in the future. Of course, it seems that gun-locks were adapted to existing guns by means of wooden mounting blocks carved to fit in the appropriate place near the vent.

Re Boudriot's commentary on gun-locks in French service, here is what he wrote in "The 74 Gun Ship", Volume IV, page 132. Please note that he specifically describes the French 74 as of the year 1780.

"In accordance with Regulations, 24 of the guns on our 74 are fitted with gun-locks mounted on blocks of wood.As a rule, the locks used are heavy musket locks from land-service muskets, fitted to the block in the same way as they would be to the musket stock, with a tube of tin-plate leading from the pan to come out next to the vent. The wooden mounting-block is held in place by straps which pass round the breech of the gun. A sort of trigger is operated by a lanyard coming out of the back of the block.

<snip>

As explained in the main body of the text, a certain number of the guns aboard our 74 are fitted with gun-locks mounted upon blocks of wood. A piece of fir is shaped to the profile of the breech of the gun so that it fits comfortably over it to the right of the vent; two straps of heavy canvas pass round the breech, and hold the block in place. A heavy firing-lock from a land-service musket is fastened to the block in the same way as it would be fitted to a musket, and a tube of tin-plate leads from the firing pan through the block of wood and across towards the vent.

The lock is not fired by a finger-trigger, but by a laniard (sic) which passes through a hole cut in the after edge of the mounting-block; the method of operation of a flintlock will be familiar to you, so I will not describe it again, but it will be appreciated that the detonation of the priming-powder in the pan is communicated to the priming of the gun via the tin tube.

The use of gun-locks provides a more reliable and more rapid method of detonating the charge, but some officers are critical of their fragility, the amount of room they take up, the fact that they interfere with the laying of the gun, and cause difficulties in priming and in keeping the priming dry; it is true however that the use of firing tubes (see Vol II, p 173) simplifies or indeed resolves these latter difficulties. Furthermore, the locks can get caught in people's clothing or be damaged by hand-crows or handspikes, sleeves, etc. while the gun is being handled, the damp causes problems in their operation, the flints sometimes break, and in general the linstock is preferred to the gun-lock."

- - -

Re Douglas - He indeed equipped the guns of his ship HMS Duke with gun-locks (at his own personal expense BTW), but he also modified his ship's gunports and training tackle to approximately double the fire arcs of his guns. But he was generally considered rather a maverick within the service and few if any captains emulated his efforts. However, after a very lengthy effort, he managed to persuade Rodney to have the guns of his flagship HMS Formidable similarly modified. To the best of my knowledge, these were the only two ships in the British fleet at the Saintes so outfitted. Gunlocks (to the best of my knowledge) did not become commonplace in the RN until after the War of the French Revolution.

Byron
Hi Byron. Yes, that book is highly recommended, not much because of the arming of the USN, but because of its general history of artillery, in particular that period of the transition from smooth bore to rifled muzzle loaders.

Here you have another muzzle loader with a platform for the lock, presumably percussion because it is from 1874. It is a Vavasseur British gun.

Interestingly, it has a unique system of rifling, not repeated by any other maker. The rifling, three lands in place of the more common grooves (as in Armstrong´s), project from the bore.

And the ammunition has a matching groove for the rifilng.

Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

Very interesting Marcelo,
You seem to live next door to a 19thC artillery museum!
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

There are some beautiful old guns at the Forest Park in St. Louis.

Start here: https://forestparkmap.org/spanish-cannon-examinador
paul.mercer

Post by paul.mercer »

Gentlemen, A very interesting discussion.
What does puzzle me is why they bothered to fit a flintlock firing mechanism at all, surely in the heat of battle a small amount of powder around the touch hole and fires with a lighted taper would be much faster, particularly when all the business of sponging out and reloading had to be done at speed having to re-cock and prime a flintlock with the risk of a flint or lock breakage would slow the firing rate down?
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

"Slow matches" can be extinguished, especially on the weather deck. Flint-and-steel, not so much.
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

I've read that the Armada sailed with cannons in field livery, full-sized wheels and limbers. Is this factually correct?
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Byron Angel wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:27 pm Very interesting Marcelo,
You seem to live next door to a 19thC artillery museum!
Oh no, they are from two different museums plus a public park!
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

paul.mercer wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:21 am Gentlemen, A very interesting discussion.
What does puzzle me is why they bothered to fit a flintlock firing mechanism at all, surely in the heat of battle a small amount of powder around the touch hole and fires with a lighted taper would be much faster, particularly when all the business of sponging out and reloading had to be done at speed having to re-cock and prime a flintlock with the risk of a flint or lock breakage would slow the firing rate down?
Hi Paul. There is a single reason, velocity of ignition. In a rolling ship you have to fire when the sights, up and down with the ship role, pass by a chosen point on the ship target. The flint lock is much faster, firing with the pull of a cord. Any delay in ignition would send the projectile up or down.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

OpanaPointer wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:02 pm I've read that the Armada sailed with cannons in field livery, full-sized wheels and limbers. Is this factually correct?
Do you mean the 1588 Armada? Don´t know for sure, but they may be intended for the land campaign to follow.