Cannonball identification

From the battle of Lepanto to the mid-19th century.
JGoldy

Cannonball identification

Post by JGoldy »

Hi all. I have in my garage an iron cannonball, which I cannot easily identify. It was dredged up in the Thames estuary (UK) so I presume it was naval but I can't find out any info on where it may have come from. It is LARGE. It measures 7.5" (190mm) diameter and weighs around 55lb (25kg). As far as I can see there were no Navy ships equipped with a gun that size, but I don't really know where else to look.

Anybody have any ideas? I will happily post a picture but basically it's a big rusty football.

Thanks!
Tool1958

Re: Cannonball identification

Post by Tool1958 »

JGoldy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:36 pm Hi all. I have in my garage an iron cannonball, which I cannot easily identify. It was dredged up in the Thames estuary (UK) so I presume it was naval but I can't find out any info on where it may have come from. It is LARGE. It measures 7.5" (190mm) diameter and weighs around 55lb (25kg). As far as I can see there were no Navy ships equipped with a gun that size, but I don't really know where else to look.

Anybody have any ideas? I will happily post a picture but basically it's a big rusty football.

Thanks!

Hello JGoldy,

I'm certainly not an expert on old "rusty footballs" either. There may be readers here who are more knowledgeable.

Even though it won't say much; - A photo with, for example, a ruler or measuring tape in the background always
increases the attention of every reader. (The permitted pixel size obviously limits the photo size very much)

If I were in your situation, I would try to find a similar museum. There is certainly a corresponding local history
museum near you, or even closer to where it was found; - possibly also a naval museum on the coast or in London.

If you can also provide the exact location of where it was found, they will certainly be able to help you.

Regards Holger