Osprey - German Battlecruisers, 1914-1918

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
_Derfflinger_
Supporter

Osprey - German Battlecruisers, 1914-1918

Post by _Derfflinger_ »

Grüße!

Against my better judgement, I recently bought another Osprey "New Vanguard" naval book from Squadron, sight unseen - "German Battlecruisers, 1914-1918" by Gary Staff and Tony Bryan.

I haven't read a word of the text yet, but the book (48pp) has several pretty good pictures and a lot of what look to be well done art renderings of the seven High Seas Fleet battlecruisers from SMS Von der Tann through SMS Hindenburg. The center page is a nice cutaway color drawing of SMS Lützow.

The authors also include some nice coverage of SMS Goeben, which often does not get the coverage the others get as she was not involved with Jutland (of course, neither was SMS Hindenburg).

By the way, speaking of SMS Goeben, check out Steve Wiper's current issue of his magazine "Warship Modeler" (the 2nd Quarter - 2006 issue) for some very good pictures of an excellent model of this famous battlecruiser.

The magazine also has some pictures of KM Gneisenau, including a real nice close up starboard bow on view.

Derf
RF

Re: Osprey - German Battlecruisers, 1914-1918

Post by RF »

_Derfflinger_ wrote:Against my better judgement, I recently bought another Osprey "New Vanguard" naval book from Squadron, sight unseen - "German Battlecruisers, 1914-1918" by Gary Staff and Tony Bryan.

The authors also include some nice coverage of SMS Goeben, which often does not get the coverage the others get as she was not involved with Jutland (of course, neither was SMS Hindenburg).
Generally the Geoben does have quite a bit of coverage elsewhere, with its escape to Turkey and its subsequent service with the Ottoman Navy, I believe under the name Yavuz.