US Battleships 1941-1963: An Illustrated Technical Reference

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
marcelo_malara

US Battleships 1941-1963: An Illustrated Technical Reference

Post by marcelo_malara »

Hi all. This is a new book about US BB (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/143825 ... pg__header), anyone knows about it?
Bgile

Re: US Battleships 1941-1963: An Illustrated Technical Reference

Post by Bgile »

No, but I followed the links to his book about BB conversions ... the conversion thing isn't really all that interesting to me though.
sdae102

Post by sdae102 »

Hello All:

I know all about this book as I spent almost 50 years researching it, and spent this past year writing it....and I can assure you that it contains more accurate extensively researched new information than any preceding Battleship book. It it is exactly as described on Amazon a technical reference to USN battleships. Things it is not: a narrative style book...it is written in the reference style of an expanded Fahey's or Paul Silverstone's US Warships of WWII. If you have specific questions about the book please do not hesitate to email me at sdae103@yahoo.com.

Thank you

wayne
sdae102

Post by sdae102 »

Hello again all:

below is a copy of the 'official' book announcement

Thanks Wayne Scarpaci

Hello All:

I am pleased to announce the release of my new book "US Battleships 1941-1963: an Illustrated Technical Reference" available now at Amazon at Book Listing Page at Amazon.com. Or direct for the author (for a signed copy) via paypal ,check or money order, at my website at www.artbywayne.com .

The book is 134 pages, and has 52 full color original paintings, and 86 new line drawings by the author, and 252 photographs (many never before published). The book includes sections on all USN Capital Ships ordered, canceled, and built by the USN 1941-1963. The book includes sections on the USS Arkansas BB33 thru the USS Louisiana BB71. Sections are also included on the canceled USS South Dakota BB49 Class Battleships, and USS Lexington CC1 Class Battlecruisers of 1922. Coverage extends to Gunnery Ships USS Utah AG16, USS Wyoming AG17, and USS Mississippi AG 128. The original 'as ordered' design scheme XVI, 14" gun armed USS North Carolina BB55 Class Battleships of 1937 is featured. And the book also includes the USS Alaska CB1 Class of Large Cruisers.

For more information and details who I am, and the book have written, please review my blog at Amazon.com Blog .

This book is the end product of more than 40 years of in depth ongoing research on my part. It is the USN Battleship Reference Book that contains all the information, data, and statistics have I always wished were available in a single volume. It is written in a concise 'no nonsense' 'reference style' that is easy to read, and easy to use.

Please review the book, and if you should decide to purchase a copy, please feel free to email me at mailto:sdae103@yahoo.com with your constructive comments and observations on the book's contents and format, so that I may consider them, and incorporate your suggestions into my planned subsequent volumes: Vol 2 Italian Battleships 1940-1957 (due to be released, hopefully, in spring 2009), Vol 3French Battleships 1939-1970, Vol 5 Soviet Battleships and Battlecruisers 1939-1960, Vol 6 German Battleships 1939-1945 including the 'H's series designs, Vol 7 Japanese Battleships 1941-1947 including the B64/65 class ships, Vol 8 British Battleships 1939-1963.

If you should purchase a copy of the book please also post your review on my Amazon Listing Page.

In case you should experience any difficulties with the embedded links (as I do not know if they will post properly) below is title, ISBN information and 'cut and paste links' to the book's Amazon listing page and my Amazon Blog. Please note if you choose to do a key word search for my book on Amazon you currently need to search for "US Battleships" vs. "Battleships" as mine is a new listing and my search tags have not yet posted on Amazon.

Title: US Battleships 1941-1963 an Illustrated Technical Reference

ISBN 1438257449

Link to Listing:

http://www.amazon.com/Battleships-1941- ... 750&sr=1-2

Link to Blog:

http://www.amazon.com/Battleships-1941- ... 750&sr=1-2

Also please visit my website at www.artbywayne.com and review my naval artwork that is available of ships of all nations and all eras. Custom commission artwork is of any ship, any era, US or Foreign is also available.

Thank You All.

Battleships Forever

Wayne Scarpaci
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

Hi, Wayne. I have your Iowa/Alaska title, and I definitely enjoy your artwork.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Thanks for your answer Wayne. Anybody who writes a book about battleships these days deserves atention. It would be nice for me if you can tell what is covered in a battleship´s section, I mean, are there armouring sketches of all of them? Cut-outs with internal (and specially machinery) distribution? Any other thing worth mentioning?

Kind regards
sdae102

Post by sdae102 »

Hello All:
For those of you who have my book on the Iowa Class Conversion, I thank you....This new book is a vast improvement ,I hope, in both layout and content...The Conversion book was originally intended to be but a section of this current book......I hope to uncover more data on the undocumented conversions and do a second edition...data on the conversion programs of the 50's is really tough to find....I am sure that somewhere in the Navy Department or National Archives is couple of filing cabinets pack full of really cool stuff on them...the mission, of course, is finding that filing cabinet....I contacted Norman Freidman during the course of my research for the conversion book and he is the one who told me how difficult data is to find on the proposed BB conversion of the 1940-1966, remember such things were, I am sure, very classified at the time. My father was a navy yeoman at the Pentagon in the mid 50's and I went to work with him when I was 7 or 8 years old and he worked in the office where the BB61 conversion being planned...That is where I saw the official artist's renderings of the conversions on the wall in the foray entrance to the office area. They one that stuck in my mind the most was the single ended CAG like conversion.....( WOW! I thought, a guided missile battleship! It just can't get any better!) Later that same year the family drove with my dad to Norfolk NSY, where he went aboard the Kentucky BB66( I didn't get to go aboard (DAMN!) I had to stay on the pier with my mom)..........There was a bunch of activity around her I think they were doing a survey. but I do not really know. ( Also got to see the USS Mississippi AG128, but she was out of commission) I also have recently uncovered evidence of a reference to a memo on the BB65/BB66 from ADM King too ADM Nimitz in late 1945. The memo suggests a redesign of both.....redoing the armor to bring them up to BB67 class standards....removal of the conning tower.....adding hull blisters....adding superfiring 5" mounts fore and aft..........and trunking both stack into single stack (to clear AA arcs of fire) I want to included this design in the conversion book so bad, but I have nothing to substantiate it....trust me, in my books if it is unsubstantiated it does not get in ( I have done a preliminary painting, and preliminary line drawing of it that I will post as soon as I can figure out how to post an image)... If any of you have any information on this or any proposed BB conversion please let me know at sdae103@yahoo.com. Thank you all.

Wayne Scarpaci Battleship Writer
sdae102

Post by sdae102 »

Hello again all:

Now to answer the questions about the US BB's book.........All individual battleship sections include a side view of each of the ship's major configurations with detail drawings........some ship have as many a 3 line drawing (BB43 AG128)....and for the 1st time include drawing of AG16 Ag17 and AG128) ....I have included a section on armor that has line drawings of all classes of US BB in their 1945 configurations on one page, for the first time.......... I did this to make their protection system easier to compare class to class..I put the armor statistics in the class descriptions.......The sections on radars was very difficult to research as previous works omitted a lot of information on specific systems...... there is, for the 1st time I believe, a full set of 2 view line drawings on all search radars........The fire control section also has 2 view line drawings of all fire control directors and radars...again, very difficult to research as no previous works including anything on the Mk50 director with Mk10 radar(3"/50 AA control BB33-BB35 1944-1946)...but it is in my book...The aviation section includes 6 side view line drawings of the SOC O2SU SC1 HO3S HUP2 and S55..I did not do 3 view as it is a book about BB's after all........ What I really like about this my new book is the chronology as it permits the reader to see the deployment of USN BB's set in the sequence of WWII events...Similar to, but much expanded, to the one in the front of Paul Silverstone's monumental work US warships of WWII..If you don't have a copy of you may want to pack one up used...........This as mentioned in previous post this book is a written in a completely new format written by a battleship book user for battleship book users. My new book is not intended to displace the many outstanding BB works that have gone before it, but rather hopefully will compliment them. If you should chose to purchase a copy I hope that it will ***earn*** a place on the top shelf of your reference library. And that you will feel good about recommending it to others with a positive review on Amazon.

Wayne Scarpaci Battleship Writer
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Thanks Wayne, you convinced me!!! I will order it soon along with Tiornu´s cruisers book. Did you receive my email about the Argentine´s dreadnoughts?

Kind regards
sdae102

Post by sdae102 »

Hello All:

For and independent, professional in depth review of my new book US Battleships 1941-1963by Naval Historian Steve Backer is available now for your viewing on Steel Navy's website at http://www.steelnavy.com/USBattleshipsWS.htm. Thank you all. Best Regards and Happy Holidays. Wayne