KGV Class 14-in Turret Problems

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
dunmunro

Re: KGV turrets - pretty much the same as others

Post by dunmunro »

Tiornu wrote:
I Yes, we know, you are parroting information from a second-hand source even though you don't understand what it means. You have been given corrected information and analysis--why don't parrot this now?
I seem to have touched a nerve here. I have rather patiently stated my position, that the KGVs, in actual combat, seemed to have performed similarly to other BBs of the period, except that the KGV and DoY fought lengthy actions in poor weather conditions, and this resulted in a lower availability rate over the course of the action, even though initially the availability rate was quite high. I have provided what data I can find, and I believe it supports my position. I have challenged you and other posters to provide some data to the contrary but it does not seem to be forthcoming, rather you and others continue to "parrot" the assertion that the KGV's main armament was "defective" or "unreliable" without providing any data to support that assertion, nor do you even wish to speculate as to whether you believe that any other BB could have done better than DoY at North Cape. The only data I can find, a test shoot, done by USS Idaho, seems to indicate that the availability rates of most BBs will fall to the levels experienced by KGV and DoY, during lengthy actions.

cheers

Duncan
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

Perhaps I'm being uncharitable, but I have no sympathy for you. I have corrected your basic math errors, but you have ignored it. If you will not even perform a simple division problem after being corrected, why do you expect to apprehend any analysis being posted here? If you continue to label as "similar" a failure rate nearly three times as great as the other rates being compared, you cannot understand the significance of very dissimilar figures.
>>An 8in shell is similar in explosive content to a 16in shell.
>>No, the 16in shell has ten times as much explosive.
>>But someone posted on another board that they are similar, and I want to believe that they are. So I will keep saying they are similar. You are simply parroting.
If you seriously wanted to investigate this matter, you could ask, "Would extreme sea conditions cause the American failure rate to triple? Or would DoY's failure rate be reduced to one third of the North Cape figure if the sea conditions were calm?"
Nellie

Post by Nellie »

This is taken from navweaps.com Bismarcks final battle!

Investigation of the gunnery records of King George V and interviews with several of her officers reveal that there were problems with the mechanical safety interlocks designed to prevent explosions within the turrets from being transmitted to the powder magazines below. Her gunnery during the battle averaged 60% between 0920-0950, with only the twin turret performing at 100% effectiveness. Rodney, however, kept up a steady barrage, with few misfires.

In half an hour A turret was out of action, that means that the KGV produced in reality much worser than 60% effectiveness during that time because of more problem in the other quadrupel mounts (x-turret). It is absolutely not an average gunperformance and you can not blame it on the weatherconditions here because it was no problem for Rodney, or maybe Rodney was immune against bad weather!!!?
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Nellie wrote: It is absolutely not an average gunperformance and you can not blame it on the weatherconditions here because it was no problem for Rodney, or maybe Rodney was immune against bad weather!!!?
from: navweaps.com http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_16-45_mk1.htm
) During the first hour of the "Final Battle" against Bismarck, Rodney fired the equivalent of 1.5 salvos per minute. During the entire battle, she fired 1.6 salvos per minute during salvo firing and 1.1 broadsides per minute during broadside firing with outputs of 77% and 62% respectively (salvos were of four and five guns while broadsides were of all nine guns). The following description of the problems encountered by Rodney is taken from "The Final Action: The Sinking of Bismarck, 27 May 1941" by John Roberts:

"She experienced various minor problems with mechanical failures and drill errors, the worst being with the right gun of A turret. This gun missed 11 salvos due to problems with the slide locking gear and then, at salvo 65, a complete jam occurred in the right shell pusher hoist. As a result of drill errors the top shell was rammed up the hoist and jammed in the gunhouse with its nose against the rangefinder supports. It was not cleared until 12 hours after the action. In addition the centre gun of A missed 2 salvos due to slow drill and all the salvos from 64 to 88 due to mechanical failures, the left gun of A missed 10 salvos and did not fire after salvo 97 due to mechanical failures. B turret's centre gun misfired at salvo 4 and missed 5 or 6 over a period of 7 minutes towards the end of the action due to drill errors. The left gun of B had several delays as a result of drill errors but X turret suffered only two jams which caused only minor delays." .
Rodney did suffer from problems, and you will note that her output was considerably less than KGV for the initial 30 minutes or so of the engagement. Also note that Rodney's output was less than PoWs output if measured over PoW's 1st 30 salvos. My point is that in a long engagement, availability rates will fall, then we add some heavy weather into the mix and they will fall even further. IIRC, most of KGV's problems were due to errors in drill, which are bound to increase in a lengthy action in poor weather conditions. My point is simply that any BB will probably have a similar availability rate during a lengthy engagement.

cheers

Duncan
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Tiornu wrote:
If you seriously wanted to investigate this matter, you could ask, "Would extreme sea conditions cause the American failure rate to triple? Or would DoY's failure rate be reduced to one third of the North Cape figure if the sea conditions were calm?"
I already an idea of the output that can be expected from a USN triple, during a lengthy firing, during calm weather. I seriously doubt, as I am sure you will have agree, that it will get better, if the firing is carried out at higher speeds in a force 10 gale. In fact the USN itself, expressed concerns about the RoF that could be expected in heavy weather.

cheers

Duncan
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

But you are not talking about RoF, right? You are talking about reliability.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

dunmunro wrote:
I already an idea of the output that can be expected from a USN triple, during a lengthy firing, during calm weather. I seriously doubt, as I am sure you will have agree, that it will get better, if the firing is carried out at higher speeds in a force 10 gale. In fact the USN itself, expressed concerns about the RoF that could be expected in heavy weather.

cheers

Duncan
Not exactly, because the turrets on Idaho had a somewhat lower design rate of fire than the modern US triples, if we can take the NAVWEAPS site as authoritative.

The point you seem to be missing here is that the KGV class had specific problems related to the quad turrets. That doesn't mean they weren't capable of satisfactory rates of fire. It just means that in addition to the problems experienced generically by battleship guns, they had this additional problem with their design (complexity related to the 4-gun turret) which occasionally interfered. It was particularly pronounced in the Bismarck episode, and in fact forced the withdrawal of PoW from the fight.

I don't think denying this is productive.
Nellie

Post by Nellie »

I am aware That Rodney had some problems but she was never down to under 60% efficiency like the KGV. Rodney as i see it had a more normal gunfunctioning. I haven´t heard of any other ship who in a period in battle loses nearly half her gunefficiency due to mechanical problems, but if there is, it would be interesting to read about it.
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

The point you seem to be missing here is that the KGV class had specific problems related to the quad turrets.
It's already been pointed out (and strenuously ignored) that the British themselves noted the unreliability of the quads. If we want a benchmark for comparison, we don't have to look any farther than the KGVs themselves--the twins performed markedly better than the quads.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Tiornu wrote:But you are not talking about RoF, right? You are talking about reliability.
Well, to some extent they are intertwined. A shell delayed from the shell room, that misses a salvo is really no different from a shell that is delayed due to a jammed interlock.

cheers

Duncan
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Tiornu wrote:
The point you seem to be missing here is that the KGV class had specific problems related to the quad turrets.
It's already been pointed out (and strenuously ignored) that the British themselves noted the unreliability of the quads. If we want a benchmark for comparison, we don't have to look any farther than the KGVs themselves--the twins performed markedly better than the quads.
Well, Navweapons,in their section on the RN 14/45 says this:
Both guns in B turret, guns 2 and 4 in A turret and gun 2 in Y turret were put out of action by jams and remained so until after the action
cheers

Duncan
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

dunmunro wrote:
Well, to some extent they are intertwined. A shell delayed from the shell room, that misses a salvo is really no different from a shell that is delayed due to a jammed interlock.

cheers

Duncan
The turrets in the New Mexico class had a designed rate of fire of 1.75 rounds per minute. Those in the newer ships had a designed rate of fire of 2.0 rounds per minute.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Bgile wrote: The point you seem to be missing here is that the KGV class had specific problems related to the quad turrets. That doesn't mean they weren't capable of satisfactory rates of fire. It just means that in addition to the problems experienced generically by battleship guns, they had this additional problem with their design (complexity related to the 4-gun turret) which occasionally interfered. It was particularly pronounced in the Bismarck episode, and in fact forced the withdrawal of PoW from the fight.

I don't think denying this is productive.
The problems experienced by the PoW had little to do with the turret design and a lot to do with the fact that the ship was not properly worked up. One gun in A turret had a problem that required dockyard repair, civilian workers were still on board to help the crew with the main armament and machinery, there was a command and control failure that effectively disabled her secondary armament, she only had one practice shoot and her fire control team appears to have been unable to process the radar ranging data received, in short PoW was not in a fit state to fight an action, much less one against a two fully worked up opponents. Denying PoW's state of efficiency is not productive, nor is trying to blame this state of affairs upon her quad turrets! No BB is likely to have done any better given a similar state of training and work up. In fact there is a good probability that many other BB's would have done a lot worse under the same circumstances.

Consider, that if KGV had replaced PoW in Holland's squadron, then there is a high probability she would have maintained a full output from her guns until well after the action had ended, in fact we might be commenting on their reliability! There is also a much better likelihood that her fire control teams would have found the range more quickly, and kept her secondary armament in action throughout the engagement. I suspect that KGV's skipper would have also decided to turn away rather than face a BB and CA in close range gun duel.

During Bismarck's final battle, the KGV was fighting at 20+ knots in a force 8 gale, and DoY in a force 10 gale which on land looks like this:

Beaufort #/mph/knots/description

8 39-46 34-40 Gale Breaks twigs off trees;
generally impedes progress.
9 47-54 41-47 Severe Gale Slight structural damage occurs
(chimney-pots and slates removed).
10 55-63 48-55 Storm Seldom experienced inland; trees
uprooted; considerable structural
damage occurs.
and at sea:

8 39-46 34-40 Gale Moderately high waves of greater
length; edges of crests begin to
breakinto spindrift. The foam is
blown in well-marked streaks
along the direction of the wind.
9 47-54 41-47 Severe Gale High waves. Dense streaks of
foam along the direction of the
wind. Crests of waves begin to
topple, tumble and roll over.
Spray may affect visibility.
10 55-63 48-55 Storm Very high waves with long over-
hanging crests. The resulting
foam, in great patches, is blown
in dense white streaks along the
direction of the wind. On the
whole the surface of the sea
takes on a white appearance.
The 'tumbling' of the sea becomes
heavy and shock-like. Visibility
affected.

The turret jams that PoW and KGV suffered, both occurred when shells rolled out of their trays and jammed the revolving structure of the turret. There were numerous occurrences of shells doing damage to other mechanisms in the ammo feed train. Given the sea state I think DoY's performance was excellent.

Rodney did fire more main armament ammo than KGV, but she also fired more secondary ammo than KGV (716 versus 660), and this supports my conclusion that Rodney was able to maintain a higher output because she was much closer, on average to Bismarck than KGV. It is interesting that the ratio of main ammo versus secondary ammo is similar 339/380 = .89 and 660/716 = .92. The fact that Rodney's secondary was able to fire that many rounds from fewer guns seems quite significant, in highlighting how close she was to Bismarck, in comparison to KGV, and how much longer she was able to bring the entire battery to bear. Another factor is that Rodney had her A arcs open for about 10 minutes longer than KGV, which is apparent if you examine this track chart:

http://www.navweaps.com/index_inro/no21993-pic3.jpg

so during those 10 minutes or so Rodney would have been able to fire about 20 - 25 additional rounds more than KGV, and of course, Rodney's main armament layout is more efficient when on the attack, and is more easily brought to bear on the enemy. In fact if we replaced KGV with Nelson, and steered her on the same track, her output would have been lower as well simply because she spent more time with her A arcs closed and was farther from the enemy.

In summary, I readily acknowledge that the RN may have desired more reliability from the KGV class 14" turrets, but that doesn't mean that they were actually worse in service than their contemporaries, and I find it doubtful that any other BB would have done much, if any better in the same circumstances. The two longest BB gun battles in WW2, were the sinking of Bismarck and North Cape, if we were to place KGV and DoY into any other engagement during WW2, then their turrets would not have seemed unreliable but would have performed as well or better than any others.

cheers

Duncan
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Nellie wrote:I am aware That Rodney had some problems but she was never down to under 60% efficiency like the KGV. Rodney as i see it had a more normal gunfunctioning. I haven´t heard of any other ship who in a period in battle loses nearly half her gunefficiency due to mechanical problems, but if there is, it would be interesting to read about it.
Nellie, Rodney did suffer problems, but what you are failing to take into account is that only KGV, Rodney and DoY ever fought actions of this length and under such severe conditions.

cheers

Duncan
Nellie

Post by Nellie »

Dunmunro, lets compare Rodney with KGV and see what ship who produced closest to 100% counted from the beginning to the end of the battle, do you agree with me that the ship who delivered nearest what the crewmen intendent to produce in rate of fire had the best reliability! As i said before KGV had a 60% output counting over the hole battle, lets make a search for Rodneys performance! (I garantee it is far over 60%)