Wreck of the Scharnhorst

General naval discussions that don't fit within any specific time period or cover several issues.
paul.mercer

Wreck of the Scharnhorst

Post by paul.mercer »

Gentlemen,
As I stated in my last post on the debate about tracer shells, I have been reading a book about Scharnhorst by A R Jacobsen who chartered a ship in 2000 in order to find her - which he eventually did and employed a ROV and discovered that she was lying capsized with her bow completely blown off and almost disintegrated, presumably by a magazine explosion which was described as occurring by some of the survivors as, or after she went down, apparently the stern was also missing either because it snapped off while she was sinking, another explosion,(the survivors claimed that there were two) or perhaps as she hit the bottom (it's interesting to note that several other German ships also lost their sterns when they sank)
The book unfortunately only contains two photos of the wreck, one of a secondary gun turret and one of the torpedo tubes both with unfired torpedoes
still in them.
I think I may have asked this question before, but even after trawling though countless posts, I could not find it.
It is this, to the best of your knowledge, has any there been any further expeditions to the site or are there any more photographs of it?
dunmunro

Re: Wreck of the Scharnhorst

Post by dunmunro »

paul.mercer wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:56 pm Gentlemen,
As I stated in my last post on the debate about tracer shells, I have been reading a book about Scharnhorst by A R Jacobsen who chartered a ship in 2000 in order to find her - which he eventually did and employed a ROV and discovered that she was lying capsized with her bow completely blown off and almost disintegrated, presumably by a magazine explosion which was described as occurring by some of the survivors as, or after she went down, apparently the stern was also missing either because it snapped off while she was sinking, another explosion,(the survivors claimed that there were two) or perhaps as she hit the bottom (it's interesting to note that several other German ships also lost their sterns when they sank)
The book unfortunately only contains two photos of the wreck, one of a secondary gun turret and one of the torpedo tubes both with unfired torpedoes
still in them.
I think I may have asked this question before, but even after trawling though countless posts, I could not find it.
It is this, to the best of your knowledge, has any there been any further expeditions to the site or are there any more photographs of it?
Some video footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSztbgj7pNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQki5OXRwO8
paul.mercer

Re: Wreck of the Scharnhorst

Post by paul.mercer »

dunmunro wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:11 pm
paul.mercer wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:56 pm Gentlemen,
still in them.
Some video footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSztbgj7pNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQki5OXRwO8
Many thanks for that,it was fascinating to watch
Paul