US Atlantic Fleet at Key West?

General naval discussions that don't fit within any specific time period or cover several issues.
Djoser

US Atlantic Fleet at Key West?

Post by Djoser »

I live in Key West, and have been thinking of doing a series of drawings of the naval base as it evolved through the years, with the various ships in harbor. I am curious as to how much of the Atlantic Fleet could/would have been in harbor at any one time, particularly during the period just before and after the US entry into WW I. Obviously I could use artistic license, but I'd rather be accurate.

I do know that most of the fleet was there after the sinking of the Maine in 1898.

The harbor has cleared ship channels with 30-32 feet depth, allowing most US WW I era dreadnoughts to base there. I know USS South Carolina was there at some point.
RF

Re: US Atlantic Fleet at Key West?

Post by RF »

Key West is clearly a strategic point, and close to Cuba, so basing the fleet there makes sense. And unlike PH, there is no hostile naval power in the Atlantic that could launch a carrier attack on them...
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Djoser

Post by Djoser »

I don't think it is big enough (or rather deep enough for a large enough area) to have handled say the entire Atlantic Fleet after WW I, but I could be wrong. I want to do the drawings based strictly on what would likely have been there. But certainly 2-3 dreadnoughts, some cruisers and destroyers, etc., would be appropriate. There might be records here I can obtain which would answer this question, I shall have to look into it.
RF

Post by RF »

Probably not, but still large enough I think for a substantial force....
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
lwd

Post by lwd »

Isn't there a museum at the old fort there? Have you tried asking them? It's the sort of thing they might know and might look up if they don't.
Djoser

Post by Djoser »

Thanks lwd, I somehow missed your last reply--that is a very good idea!

There isn't a museum at the fort itself, but there are several museums in Key West that would no doubt have everything I need to get started and do a well-researched series of drawings. This town is quite excellent in the attention given to its history, and the arts. A great place to do such a series of drawings, and no doubt sell them as well (I'd do it for love, but money is also very nice!). I have been bogged down working my club, it's been a rough year, but I think after the 2011 Season is finished in April, I should be able to get started on it.