ships registation numers

General naval discussions that don't fit within any specific time period or cover several issues.
lindylou1

ships registation numers

Post by lindylou1 »

i have in my possession a Kosmos Brenner ships light, found underwater.
It is an oil lamp with a round wick.
At a later date I also found the glass from the light.
Both the glass and lamp have the following number 12984 followed by a capital"M" which is surrounded by three crowns.
How can I identify the ship that this light came from.
Lindsay
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

I don´t think you can determine or set a potential ship from the lamp alone, as those lamps according to this site...

http://www.milesstair.com/KOSMOS-BRENNE ... OS-BRENNER

...are made as collectibles - they´re not made as part of a ship. So forth 12984 would be production number while the triple crown M might refer to a specific manufacturer for that type of oil lamp. I did see an oil lamp model at the above listed site which was intended for nautical use. If I were to hazard a guess I´d say the lamp probably came from a vessel of ´boat-size´rather than a ship as most ships usually have their lamps/lights placed in solid and permanent mountings. Perhaps could it have fallen overboard from a sailboat..? (Since these are the last of a dying race that read maps rather than GPS - an obsolete method of navigation where an oil lamp may come in handy...)

From appearance (degree of deterioration) you can perhaps get an estimate how long a period it has spent underwater..?
lindylou1

Re: ships registation numers

Post by lindylou1 »

The reason I think this number is the ships registration number is because it is on a plaque on the top surface of the lamp. I also found the lamp's glass which is all round (360 degrees) and white, and 28cm in diameter. The number is also etched on the glass by hand. I think the lamp when it was complete was about 50cm high. I can't tell how old the lamp is by encrustation but have been told that as it has a wick winder it is not more than 100 yrs old.
The letter M which follows the numbers has three crowns surrounding it, which makes me think that it may be a royal person whose name begins with M.
Any further ideas?
Lindsay
RF

Re: ships registation numers

Post by RF »

Can you post a picture or scan of this light?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.