Daily Life of Pirates

General naval discussions that don't fit within any specific time period or cover several issues.
crypto

Daily Life of Pirates

Post by crypto »

As a writer, history enthusiast, and fan of rogues, swordplay, and musketry, I've time and again returned to the Age of Sail (specifically, AD 1660–1730) as a period of interest. (Read: I want to write piratical fiction.)

Trouble is, I have no experience in sailing and can't find books that really focus on the daily life of seventeenth-century pirates—or seventeenth-century sailors in general. The government, i.e. the actual roles of captain, quartermaster, etc., I understand, but I'm mystified by the hands-on stuff—you know, reefing, careening, the general matters of setting sail and coming into harbor.

I'm sorry, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for, but any advice and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Someone I spoke to about this suggested that I just read Patrick O'Brian and glean as much information as I can. To any of you who've read his series, is this a reasonable idea? Was there too big a difference between sailing in 1700 and 1800?

Thank you for your time. :think:
marcelo_malara

Re: Daily Life of Pirates

Post by marcelo_malara »

Hi:

I have a book titled "Seamanship in the age of sail", very good about shiphandling in those days. It is based on contemporary books about the matter, deals with ropes, sails, masts, their handling and has something about the organization of a ship-of-the-line.

Regards
lwd

Post by lwd »

A number of the books on this page may be relevant:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur ... vy&x=0&y=0
crypto

Post by crypto »

Ah, thank you both very much for the recommendations! I wish these books weren't so darn expensive, but it's a price I (or my family when my birthday rolls around) will have to pay. :lol: Can't wait!

Sorry for the slow reply, by the way. Busy days. :?
lwd

Post by lwd »

Check google books and other such web sites some of them may well be available on line.