Kapitän zur See Harald Netzbandt

Anything about the crew, families, origins, etc.
MontysCaravan

Kapitän zur See Harald Netzbandt

Post by MontysCaravan »

Looking for info on;
Chief of Staff (Chef des Stabes): Kapitän zur See Harald Netzbandt who was on the Bismarck when it sank and didn't survive.
Harald Netzbandt recieved the DKiG (German Cross in Gold) on 30.04.1941 as a Kapitän z.S. with the OKM/Flottenkommando. Source: Patzwall & Scherzer (2001).

He received the award posthumously, just some three days after the sinking of the Bismarck.

Netzbandt, Harald (03.08.1892 - 27.05.1941)
01.10.36 - 25.11.39 Chef der Abteilung Allgemeine u. Angelegenheiten der Seeoffiziere im Marinepersonalamt (MPA I)
__.11.39 - 01.08.40 Kommandant Schlachtschiff Gneisenau
02.08.40 - 27.05.41 Chef des Stabes beim Flottenkommando
27.05.41 auf dem Schlachtschiff Bismarck gefallen
DKG: 30.04.42 als Kpt.z.S., Chef des Stabes beim Flottenkommando

Having trouble finding anything beyond these most basic details, wondered if anyone had any further info. I was genuinely surprised to find so little information on such a high ranking officer. I had the honour of meeting his grandson, who told me some interesting stories. I thought it'd be interesting to find out more, but there's little on the web, and few of my books are Naval.

cheers,
RF

Re: Kapitän zur See Harald Netzband

Post by RF »

Have you had a look on the feldgrau website?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Antonio Bonomi

Re: Kapitän zur See Harald Netzbandt

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao all,

I am very interested on anything H. Netzband grandson would have shared as infos about him.

You are right, he was a great Officer and apparently very highly appreciated by Admiral G. Lutjens too.

Ciao Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
RF

Post by RF »

Montyscaravan,

If you go into the Wehrmacht/Kriegsmarine website, where I believe you obtained the biographical details you mention as they are identical to the info published, you should be able to contact Mike Miller to find out where his info is sourced, and to find the sources for more info.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Gerard Heimann
Supporter

Post by Gerard Heimann »

Hello Montyscaravan, I am sure that we would all enjoy whatever stories that you have to share regarding Kapitän zur See Harald Netzbandt.

Regards,
Gerard