Macchi C205 Veltro

Non-naval discussions about the Second World War. Military leaders, campaigns, weapons, etc.
RF

Macchi C205 Veltro

Post by RF »

Does anyone know if there still any surviving and working Veltro planes left? I believe a number of air forces immediately after WW2 did use a number of these aircraft, including the Eygptians in their first shooting war with Israel - but do any working planes survive?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
lwd

Re: Macchi C205 Veltro

Post by lwd »

according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macchi_C.205
There are 3 survivors one of which is flyable. They are apparently all composites to some extent (C.202 and C.205). The locations are listed. More details may be at the museum sites.
RF

Post by RF »

Yes, thanks lwd, I had seen the Wiki site. Apparently the one plane still serviceable was only until 1986. Pity really that no more of these planes had been preserved and I was wondering if anyone had any further info.

It would also have been interesting if this aircraft had been incorporated into the Luftwaffe and Japanese air arms in 1941, which could have happened if the Italians had organised themselves properly and developed it years ahead of when they actually did. I also assume that the IJN would have used a carrier variant of such a plane.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
lwd

Post by lwd »

RF wrote:Yes, thanks lwd, I had seen the Wiki site. Apparently the one plane still serviceable was only until 1986. ....
I suspect that it is still servicable although it would probably take some time in the shop now. There has been a tendency lately to ground the rarer planes even if they can still fly. It's just not considered worth loosing them. This one may have been donated to a museum at the time as well. I can't see why they would do anything to make it unflyable although they also wouldn't likely spend much effort keeping it in flying conditions.
yellowtail3

Post by yellowtail3 »

Prett a/c the 205. I think the smithsonian has a c202 hanging...
Shift Colors... underway.