USN openly taking gays?

The warships of today's navies, current naval events, ships in the news, etc.
Karl Heidenreich

USN openly taking gays?

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Obama [Edited by Moderator] came to try to fullfill one of his campaign promises:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33255971/ns ... hite_house

Everybody knows that gays has served in the military since the very begining of times: Alexander the Great was not precisely John Wayne! And there have been comments on Julius Caesar as well as the known practices of the Spartan and Samurai cadres.

But contemporary society and military are different. One thing is for sure: in democracies the military defend the nation, state and society but they are not a mirror of them, cannot be like them. If a society is in it´s way of moral and conduct decadence the least it could do to achieve a longer life is to separate the military from that trend. But if the military will be part of it, then someone will take advantage. Military forces are to fight, not a testing ground for affirmative action or social development.

I wonder what will happen in SSBNs if gays could be openly show their inclination and captains are restrained by law to impose order in that respect?

[Edited by Moderator]
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
Bgile

Re: USN openly taking gays?

Post by Bgile »

I oppose this in general, but there are already military regulations prohibiting open displays of sexual chemistry. For example, sailors cannot hold hands on board ship.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

sailors cannot hold hands on board ship.
Even of one of them is faling overboard??? :D :D :D
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

Since it is correct that gays have been serving in militaries since the beginning of recorded history, I don't see what the big deal is. The USMCJ has conduct codes about displays of affection between heterosexual people in the military so if gays were openly allowed to serve they would have to follow the same rules.

Gays can serve in military under Don't Ask Don't Tell. A change in policy would just let them be open about their sexuality not change their ability in doing their duty.

The military went through a same period with integration of the services in 1948, some though it would tear the military apart but it actually made for a better military. The US military has always been more progressive then American society in dealing with these issues.

In the end, we'll just have to see how the President, Congress, and the Pentagon deal with this issue.
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

I know that what bothered me was the idea of communal showers being peep shows for the gay crew members. I didn't get to shower with the women, but the gay guys get to shower with me. Maybe that doesn't bother everyone, but the idea bothered me.
RF

Post by RF »

This is a subject where really it is impossible to have hard and fast rules - by its nature military forces live in a culture of legally applying lethal force to proper military orders. The consideration then is that the behaviour of crew members to each other should not be predjucial to military discipline or order.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Kyler wrote: Gays can serve in military under Don't Ask Don't Tell. A change in policy would just let them be open about their sexuality not change their ability in doing their duty.
I think this may not be a good thing for them. Military society as a whole is very conservative and they may come in for harassment or worse. There is a lot that can happen below the official radar and is seldom punished.

When I was in the service I wasn't aware of any gay guys at all. I suppose they had to be there, but if so they were completely in the closet.
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

Bgile wrote:
Kyler wrote: Gays can serve in military under Don't Ask Don't Tell. A change in policy would just let them be open about their sexuality not change their ability in doing their duty.
I think this may not be a good thing for them. Military society as a whole is very conservative and they may come in for harassment or worse. There is a lot that can happen below the official radar and is seldom punished.

When I was in the service I wasn't aware of any gay guys at all. I suppose they had to be there, but if so they were completely in the closet.
I don't doubt the conservative attitude that is very prevalent in our current and past military. I am sure if there is a policy change there will be a difficult period of adjustment for the US military. Though in the end I believe the it will become a mute issue. When President Truman desegregated the military in 1948 the military took a difficult issue and after a period of the time was to able to get over most of the issues of that political decision. I believe the same can be said with openly gay people serving in the military.
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)