SecNav To Stay After Obama Takes Office

The warships of today's navies, current naval events, ships in the news, etc.
USS ALASKA

Post by USS ALASKA »

NavyTimes.com
January 12, 2009

By Philip Ewing, Staff writer
Navy Secretary Donald Winter has agreed to stay in his post after the inauguration of President-elect Obama, Winter said Monday, and is planning to remain until March 13, unless a replacement arrives before then.
Defense Secretary Robert Gates asked Winter, the secretaries of the Army and the Air Force, and a number of other top Defense Department officials to stay on with him into the Obama administration, Winter said, but he would not comment on reports about any other official staying or going.
Winter said the secretaries were asked to stay on for six to eight weeks to “minimize the disruptive nature of the transition process,” which explains the cutoff date of March 13. If Obama can nominate a replacement who is confirmed by the Senate before then, Winter said he will step aside.
In an interview with Navy Times reporters and editors Monday, Winter said he “had very mixed feelings” about the approaching end of his tenure.
“I have no regrets whatsoever,” Winter said, and he described himself as being “incredibly impressed” with the sailors and Marines he’s met on the job. Unlike people he encountered in the private sector, they weren’t “employees,” he said — they were members.
On the other hand, “This is not a fun, fun job,” Winter said, and he recalled attending the wake for a sailor he’d met only a few weeks before on a trip to the U.S. Central Command area of operations. He also reiterated that he was displeased with the shipbuilding problems he’s encountered during his term, which have included quality problems aboard the first two San Antonio-class amphibious transport docks, and delays and cost overruns for the first two littoral combat ships.
RF

Re: SecNav To Stay After Obama Takes Office

Post by RF »

It will be interesting to see whether there will be a change in policy regarding the deployment of US naval units to deal with the piracy problems off the East African coast by this new administration, ie. a more robust response..... or not.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Legend

Post by Legend »

If we don't send ships to patrol those areas in the Med and middle east, then I will be really embarrassed for my country. I know we have the largest navy in the world, not as large as it used to be but it is still larger. We still have probably dozens of Cold War destroyers and frigates mothballed, I see no reason to form a seperate Anti-Pirate division and send it to the areas threatened. Hell, we could even lend it to the countries in need and let them pay for the operations, with our crews working with their crews so it's all fair. Think of the FGG-7's and other small and realtively cheap vessels could do to prevent these occurences!
AND THE SEA SHALL GRANT EACH MAN NEW HOPE, AS SLEEP BRINGS DREAMS.
RF

Post by RF »

It is a matter of concern, as it is seemingly being left to other navies, such as India and the Russians, according to some elements of the popular press here....
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.