Bismarck Tirpitz Scharnhorst vs King George V Prince of Wales Hood

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
paul.mercer

Re: Bismarck Tirpitz Scharnhorst vs King George V Prince of Wales Hood

Post by paul.mercer »

Gentlemen,
I've been following this debate with interest but I'm afraid the mathematical calculations leave me 'dead in the water'!
If this scenario was to take place then surely it would be fairer to assume that the KGV's involved had all their guns and radar working as they should which would place them in a far better position to tackle Bismarck and Tirpitz. While I am no expert on the subject, I would have thought that no matter how good a case has been made for the 11" guns of the twins that if it came to a straight one on one fight in reasonable conditions the much maligned KGV would win even if it sustained damage while doing so and the same would probably apply with one of the 'R' battlecrusiers if engaged against one of the Twins, although that result might be a bit closer!
However,I wouldn't like to predict the result of just 2 KG's and the two 'R's' (no Hood) against Bismarck and Tirpitz, that really would be some battle!
Does the old boxing maxim of a good 'big one' will always beat a good 'little one' still apply I wonder?
ede144

Post by ede144 »

paul.mercer wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:49 pm Gentlemen,
I've been following this debate with interest but I'm afraid the mathematical calculations leave me 'dead in the water'!
If this scenario was to take place then surely it would be fairer to assume that the KGV's involved had all their guns and radar working as they should which would place them in a far better position to tackle Bismarck and Tirpitz. While I am no expert on the subject, I would have thought that no matter how good a case has been made for the 11" guns of the twins that if it came to a straight one on one fight in reasonable conditions the much maligned KGV would win even if it sustained damage while doing so and the same would probably apply with one of the 'R' battlecrusiers if engaged against one of the Twins, although that result might be a bit closer!
However,I wouldn't like to predict the result of just 2 KG's and the two 'R's' (no Hood) against Bismarck and Tirpitz, that really would be some battle!
Does the old boxing maxim of a good 'big one' will always beat a good 'little one' still apply I wonder?
German Doktrin was, to fire at the most powerfull opponent, that would still be Hood. So let's asume BS an TP fire on Hood and sink it quickly. In the mean time SH keeps KG and PoW bussy.
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

Historically, at Denmark Strait, Bismarck and Prinz Eugen won the battle against Hood and PRince of WAles.
Adding Tirpitz and swapping Prinz Eugen with Scharnhorst would add the German side 63.000 tons of displacement and an extra 8x380mm guns and 9x283mm guns , in exchange for losing 8x203mm guns.
On the other hand, the Royal Navy gets only 37000 tons of extra displacement (half of what the Germans are receiving) - therefore the likely outcocme is a slaughter of RN forces.