Could we have peace in our time?

Historical what if discussions, hypothetical operations, battleship vs. battleship engagements, design your own warship, etc.
tameraire01

Could we have peace in our time?

Post by tameraire01 »

Could we have seen Bismark and Hood side by side fighting in the far east or against the Russians if Hitler was not a complete maniac?
Last edited by tameraire01 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas. Joseph Stalin
northcape

Re: Could we have peace in our time?

Post by northcape »

Why do you assume that we would have peace in our time if Germany and GB would have invaded the Soviet Union 70 years ago? Do you believe that the root of today's wars and violent conflicts is the dominance of Soviet power in the eastern hemisphere until some 20 to 30 years ago? I don't buy the simplistic idea of the evil communists vs. the shiny westerners who want to spread peace and wealth all around the globe. There have been and are many other triggers for war, as we can observe every day.
tameraire01

Post by tameraire01 »

I do not believe that. I meant could we have seen them fight together if the japanese invaded India or the soviets invaded Poland and started WW2.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas. Joseph Stalin
wadinga

Post by wadinga »

Hi there,

Suggest this moves to hypothetical thread as it has nothing to do with Bismarck in the 1940s.

BTW Stalin did invade Poland............ in a treaty with Hitler. Choose the bigger Psycho! :cool:

All the best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

BTW Stalin did invade Poland............ in a treaty with Hitler. Choose the bigger Psycho!
I believe the fact that France and Britain did not declare war on the USSR at the time was because the leadership considered Hitler and his Reich to be the most dangerous tyranny which would of necessity have to be fought and destroyed first.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
RF

Post by RF »

tameraire01 wrote:Could we have seen Bismark and Hood side by side fighting in the far east or against the Russians if Hitler was not a complete maniac?
This is an open ended question with too many imponderables to give a certain answer.

If Hitler ''was not a complete maniac'' there would have been no Second World War as such, and no Cold War to follow it. The Pacific War is highly likely to still have happened, and Hood could have been part of Force Z for example. But why would Germany have any interest in a war in the Pacific? There would be nothing in it for the Germans, so why commit Bismarck? Further still the full force of the French fleet would be available for Pacific duty, Bismarck and German help wouldn't be needed.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Post by RF »

tommy303 wrote:
BTW Stalin did invade Poland............ in a treaty with Hitler. Choose the bigger Psycho!
I believe the fact that France and Britain did not declare war on the USSR at the time was because the leadership considered Hitler and his Reich to be the most dangerous tyranny which would of necessity have to be fought and destroyed first.
The lack of a British/French declaration of war on the USSR after giving the guarantee to Poland was an act of political expediency - at that time there was a risk of Italy, Japan and Spain all joining Germany in the war, the allies didn't want to have to fight Russia as well. Note that three months later with the start of the Winter War in Finland the British/French coalition opted for a ''half and half'' solution of proposing to send a volunteer force to help the Finns but still didn't declare war on the USSR.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
tameraire01

Post by tameraire01 »

The Germans would not be in the pacific but the Baltic,Artic/ north Atlantic, hunting the soviets/ using bismarck/tirpitz as fire support ships for the panzer armies.